If you want to fly free using the Go to Travel Gal method, you’re going to need some Southwest points … well … LOTS of Southwest points :).
Of course, because you’ll be able to use them to book FREE flights on Southwest, but also because you’re going to need 125,000 qualifying points to earn the BEST DEAL IN TRAVEL: the Southwest Companion Pass!
The Southwest Companion Pass lets you bring one person to fly FREE with you (aside from the mandatory $5.60 per person per way government security fee) on EVERY flight you take for up to TWO YEARS!
How will you earn all those points? While signing up for a Southwest credit card is the EASIEST way to earn a bunch of points all at once, you’ll want to keep your Southwest point coffers full, so you can keep flying free.
Here is my ultimate guide to earning Southwest points… You’re welcome 😉
Please note: Anything marked as a “bonus” point aside from credit card “bonus” points, DO NOT qualify for the points needed to earn the Southwest Companion Pass.
101 Ways to Earn Southwest Points
Rapid Rewards Shopping
One of my FAVORITE ways to earn Southwest points is by not only starting all of your online shopping at the Southwest Rapid Rewards Shopping Portal to earn between .5 to 25 points per $1 on your purchases, but also to take advantage of inexpensive subscriptions that can earn you thousands of points on the cheap!
These are usually much less expensive than buying Southwest points!
Keep in mind the points for various subscriptions and stores changes frequently, so the below points may not be entirely accurate.
Read our post on how to use the Rapid Rewards Shopping Portal, so you understand how to maximize this points-earning opportunity.
1. Purchase a subscription to the Wall Street Journal for yourself
2. Purchase a subscription to Barron’s for yourself
3. Purchase a subscription to The Economist
4. Purchase a subscription Motley Fool ($99)
5. Purchase a subscription to ESPN+
6. Buy a Restaurant.com gift certificate for a discounted meal
7. Subscribe to McAfee.com and earn 7 points per $1
8. Subscribe to Stitch Fix and earn 20 points per $1
9. Buy your seasonal clothes at Target.com and have them delivered or pick them up in store (I LOVE Target’s drive up service!)
10. Buy an appliance at HomeDepot.com or BestBuy.com and have it delivered
11. Learn a new language with a subscription to Babbel – 550-700 points
12. Sign up for meal delivery service Blue Apron – 200-550 points (here’s how you may be able to earn these points FREE; this trick may also work for HelloFresh below)
13. Sign up for meal delivery service HelloFresh – 350-700 points
14. Sign up for meal delivery service EveryPlate – 200 points
15. Sign up for meal delivery service Home Chef – 350 points
16. Sign up for meal delivery service Freshly – 550 points
17. Sign up for meal delivery service Gobble – 650 points
18. Sign up for meal delivery service BistroMD – 1,600 points
19. Purchase PetPlan pet insurance – 900 points
20. Get grocery delivery service PeaPod – 550 points
21. Get a babysitter through SitterCity.com – 550 points
22. Subscribe to Hulu
23. Subscribe to monthly wine delivery service Winc
24. Subscribe to monthly wine delivery service Wine.com
25. Subscribe to monthly wine delivery service Bright Cellars – Up to 1,000 points
26. Subscribe to monthly wine delivery service FirstLeaf – 900 points
27. Subscribe to Graze snack subscription box – 200 points
28. Subscribe to Sirius XM
29. Subscribe to Medical Alert – up to 5,400 points
30. Buy a mattress from NECTAR Sleep – 1,800 points
31. Subscribe to Gwynnie Bee clothing service – 1,600-2,000 points
32. Get a magazine subscription from DiscountMags.com (usually 20 points per $1)
33. Book airport parking through Airport Parking Reservations
34. Buy new luggage from eBags.com
35. Switch your cell phone plan to Verizon Wireless for 3,600-4,500 points
36. Purchase a discount dental plan through DentalPlans.com for 1,800 points
37. Get AT&T TV and Internet – 2,700 points
38. Get a personal trainer with Find Your Trainer – 1,800 points
39. Switch to Verizon Fios TV & Internet – 1,600 points
40. Make a purchase through Thrive Market – 700 points
41. Get a website through Yahoo Small Business – 450 points
42. Get a website through HostGator – 350 points
43. Subscribe to CBS All Access – 300 points
44. Subscribe to WW, aka Weight Watchers – 350 points
45. Sign up for Good Sam Travel Assistance – 450 points
46. Do your taxes with TurboTax and earn 1,000 points
These opportunities are outside the Rapid Rewards Shopping Portal, but still allow you to earn Southwest points by entering your Rapid Rewards number and using a special promo code.
47. Order flowers from 1800Flowers.com through Southwest and earn 1,000 points for every $29.99+ order
48. Order gifts from Harry & David through Southwest and earn 1,000 points for every $29.99+ order
49. Subscribe to Laitwaite’s Wine Club through Southwest and earn 2,000 points for an introductory wine club purchase for $39.99
50. Buy items at Marathon gas stations and earn points through Make it Count
51. Book a flight on Southwest and earn 6 points per $1 for Wanna Get Away Fares
52. Book a flight on Southwest and earn 10 points per $1 for Anytime Fares
53. Book a flight on Southwest and earn 12 points per $1 for Business Select Fares
54. Buy a flight for someone else on Southwest
Southwest Credit Cards
55. Apply for a new Southwest personal credit card and earn the bonus points for meeting the minimum spend.
You can hold 1 personal Southwest card.
56. Apply for up to 2 new Southwest business credit cards (leave 30 days between applications) and earn the bonus points for meeting the minimum spend.
You can hold BOTH Southwest business credit cards.
57. Go to Chase Refer a Friend to find out if you have a referral code and get friends or family to sign up for the card.
You can also share on social media accompanied with information about how you use the card to fly free.
Earn 10,000 points PER REFERRAL up to 50,000 points per year across ALL Southwest cards.
You can also refer to ANY Southwest card.
58. Hold the Southwest credit cards for at least a year and earn between 3,000 and 9,000 anniversary points yearly
59. Pay for a SouthwestVacations.com package with your credit card and earn 2-3 points per $1, depending on the credit card you hold
60. Pay for a Southwest gift card with your credit card and earn 2-3 points per $1, depending on the credit card you hold
61. Pay for a hotel through SouthwestHotels.com using your card and earn 2-3 points per $1, depending on the credit card you hold
62. Pay for an experience through Southwest Experiences using your card and earn varying points per $1, depending on the credit card you hold
63. Pay for items with your Southwest credit card and earn 2-3 points per $1 on Southwest and partner purchases (some hotels and car rental companies) and 1-2 points per $1 on everything else, depending on which card you hold
64. Donate to a charity using your credit card, as most nonprofits now allow you to pay with a credit card
Please use the links within this post or in the CREDIT CARDS links in the GotoTravelGal.com main menu shown below to review or apply for any credit cards. This allows us to earn a commission — at NO COST TO YOU — to help support our free content. Thank you so much for your support!
Other Credit Cards (these points DO NOT qualify for the Southwest Companion Pass)
67. Transfer points earned from Chase Ink Business Preferred to Southwest at a 1:1 ratio
68. Transfer points earned from Chase Ink Business Cash to Southwest at a 1:1 ratio
69. Transfer points earned from Chase Ink Business Unlimited to Southwest at a 1:1 ratio
70. Transfer points earned from Chase Freedom Flex to Southwest at a 1:1 ratio (must have a Preferred card to do so)
71. Transfer points earned from Chase Freedom Unlimited to Southwest at a 1:1 ratio (must have a Preferred card to do so)
72. Transfer Diners Club points to Southwest at a ratio of 1,500 Club points = 1,200 Southwest points
73. Book a hotel through SouthwestHotels.com and earn up to 10,000 points/night
74. Purchase Emergency Assistance Plus travel insurance and earn 1,200 points
75. Purchase a SimpliSafe home security system to protect your home on your next trip and earn 7,000 points
76. Book your Hertz rental car through Southwest and earn up to 2,400 points
77. Book your Budget rental car through Southwest and earn up to 2,400 points
78. Book your Avis rental car through Southwest and earn up to 2,400 points
79. Book your National rental car through Southwest and earn up to 1,200 points
80. Book your Alamo rental car through Southwest and earn up to 1,200 points
81. Book your Thrifty rental car through Southwest and earn up to 1,200 points
82. Book your Dollar rental car through Southwest and earn up to 1,200 points
83. Book your Payless rental car through Southwest and earn up to 1,200 points
84. Book a hotel room at Marriott, MGM, Choice, Radisson, Hyatt or Best Western through Southwest
85. Buy gas at Marathon gas stations and earn through Make it Count
86. Book a SouthwestVacations.com package and earn points on the airfare portion
87. Book a tour on your next vacation through Southwest Experiences
88. Book a day trip on your next vacation through Southwest Experiences
89. Book an attraction ticket on your next vacation through Southwest Experiences
90. Book private airport transport through Southwest Experiences
91. Book a concert in your hometown through Southwest Experiences
92. Buy a ticket for an attraction in your hometown through Southwest Experiences
93. Book a food tour in your hometown through Southwest Experiences
94. Switch your electric bill to NRG to earn Southwest points (only certain states)
95. Switch your electric bill to Reliant to earn Southwest points (only certain states)
96. Answer surveys through eRewards
97. Answer surveys through Rewards for Opinions
98. Enroll in Rapid Rewards Dining and earn points when dining at select restaurants
100. Have someone transfer Southwest points to you ($10 fee for every 1,000 points)
What did we miss? Do you have a favorite way to earn Southwest points? Please share below!
The Quickest & Easiest Way to Earn Points to Fly Free on Southwest
Check out the Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Visa cards, which let you earn tens of thousands of points that you can use to book free flights on Southwest!
- Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus Visa card (Personal: Earn 65,000 points after $2,000 minimum spend in 3 months – Ends July 14, 2021)
- Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier card (Personal: Earn 65,000 points after $2,000 minimum spend in 3 months – Ends July 14, 2021)
- Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Priority card (Personal: Earn 65,000 points after $2,000 minimum spend in 3 months – Ends July 14, 2021)
- Chase Southwest Performance Business card (Small business: 80,000 points after a $5,000 minimum spend in 3 months; $199 annual fee)
- Chase Southwest Premier Business card (Small business: 60,000 points after a $3,000 minimum spend in 3 months; $99 annual fee)
These points also qualify for the 125,000 points you need to earn the Southwest Companion Pass, so one person can fly free with you for up to two years.
Keep in mind you can only hold ONE personal Southwest card at a time, though you can hold two Southwest business cards.
My Favorite Travel Credit Card: Chase Sapphire Preferred
Flexible points transfer to Southwest instantly, 2X points on dining and travel, 100,000 points after meeting a $4,000 minimum spend in 3 months and only a $95 annual fee! Please note, this card’s points DO NOT qualify for the Southwest Companion Pass.
This is the HIGHEST EVER offer for this card, which typically offers only 60,000 points. It is truly UNPRECEDENTED!
- 5 Amazing Southwest Airlines Destinations for Your Next Vacation
- Reader Question: Do Points From Chase Sapphire Preferred Qualify for the Southwest Companion Pass?