In spring 2018, Southwest introduced a new way to earn Rapid Rewards points when pumping gas, points that DO count toward the Southwest Companion Pass!
The Southwest Companion Pass is an awesome perk that lets one person fly free with you for up to two years when you earn 110,000 qualifying Southwest points.
Download my free guide below to find out how easy it is to earn:
Download Your FREE Guide & Start Flying FREE on Southwest!
Through a program called MakeItCount, you can earn Southwest points at the pump whenever you’re getting gas at Marathon gas stations or when you buy select items in-store. The items and the number of points you can earn change each month.
The program lets you connect your Southwest Rapid Rewards account and earn 1 point per gallon pumped normally. It’s not much by any stretch, but if you’re going to Marathon anyway, what could a few extra points hurt?
I recently talked with a Go to Travel Gal reader who runs a farm, and she is able to score a lot of points this way by filling up all of their farm equipment with Marathon gas and earning Southwest points at the same time.
MakeItCount Bonus on Fuel for October
For the month of October, if you visit Marathon five times and enter your MakeItCount account, you’ll earn an additional 40 Southwest points.
October In-Store Purchase Offers to Earn Southwest Points
You can also earn points on select in-store purchases.
Here is the list for October:
- 80 points when you buy 1 Blue Rhino Propane Tank (new or exchange)
- 60 points when you buy 1 Cattleman’s Cut Beef Jerkey (10 ounces)
- 40 points with purchase of 1 Teavana Crafted Ice Tea
- 40 points with purchase of 1 Hiball 16 ounces
- 40 points with purchase of 2 Hunt Brothers Pizzas 12-inch
- 40 points with purchase of 1 CORE POWER or CORE POWER ELITE 11.5 or 14 ounces
- 30 points with purchase of 2 Tic Tac Gum or Mints any size, any flavor
- 20 points with purchase of 1 M&Ms milk chocolate 1.69 ounces or peanut 1.74 ounces
- 20 points when you buy 1 Coke or Diet Coke (16.9 ounces or 20-ounce bottle)
- 20 points when you buy 1 Extra Gum 15 pieces any flavor
- 20 points when you buy 1 Kind protein bar (1.76 ounces)
- 20 points when you buy 1 core HYDRATION or core ORGANIC (drink) 18-44 ounces
- 10 points when you buy 1 bag Cheez-It 3 ounces
How to Sign up for MakeItCount and Earn Southwest Points
1. Visit MakeItCount.com
2. Click Sign Up and fill out the basic information. Click on the two checkboxes at the bottom or it won’t let you set up an account.
3. Choose Southwest Rapid Rewards as your “Preferred Program.” You can alternately choose to connect it to La Quinta Returns.
4. Click Register Now to connect to your Rapid Rewards account.
5. Enter your Rapid Rewards number and password to complete the registration.
6. Whenever you are at a Marathon gas station, enter “11” plus the phone number you listed on registration.
Do These Points Qualify for the Companion Pass?
In reading the Rapid Rewards Terms & Conditions, the only points that DON’T qualify are listed out (you can read about those in this post) and MakeItCount is NOT listed. Also, any points listed as “bonus” points (aside from bonus points earned from credit card sign-ups) DO NOT qualify for the Companion Pass.
No where does it say these are bonus points, so these absolutely SHOULD qualify!
For more ways to save on gas, become an IHG Rewards member and take advantage of FREE Fuel Perks. I explain in this post.
Want to Fly FREE to Hawaii?
Enter your email below to subscribe to the Fly Free to Hawaii FREE email course. You'll also be added to Go to Travel Gal's weekly email newsletter list.