We have a new Southwest sale today, which ends on Thursday, January 23 at 11:59 p.m. Pacific time. This sale is for winter and spring flights January 28 through May 20, 2020.
Southwest has released flights for booking through August 10, 2020, so those flights are available to book as part of this sale. The next scheduled release of flights through October 31, 2020 is on March 12. Stay tuned to Go to Travel Gal in case that date changes, as this is already a one-month delay from the originally scheduled date of February 13!
I’ll be the first to let you know if the date changes again.
Want to be the first to hear about Southwest sales and release of flights? My email subscribers were the first to be notified of the best sale of the year the first week of June! Be sure you’re on the Go to Travel Gal email list by signing up below if you want to know about Southwest sales and flight release dates before the rest of the world :).
Download Your FREE Guide & Start Flying FREE on Southwest!
This current Southwest sale is good for winter and spring flights January 28-May 20, 2020.
Keep reading to view our assessment of this new sale and the best deals we could find.
Note: See the bottom of this post for how to check and see if there is a cheaper price on flights you’ve already booked and get refunded points or a travel credit if you paid for it. There is NO FEE to change or cancel flights on Southwest.
Please note, Southwest has stopped including points prices in their sale listings, so I can only show you the cash price. However, the cash price should give you an indication of what the points price is likely to be, and you can click through on the gold “Go” button to check points prices, as well.
Southwest Sale Details
Dates: The sale is good for nonstop AND connecting domestic flights January 28 through May 20, 2020. It is good for all days of the week except Fridays and Sundays. There are some exceptions to various cities, and travel internationally, within Hawaii and to Puerto Rico is slightly different.
Hawaii fares are excluded from this sale.
The sale ends on Thursday, January 23, at 11:59 p.m. PACIFIC Time.
Our assessment: This sale isn’t as great as what we saw last week. Inter-island Hawaii flights are back up to $39 (last week they were $29) and many other cities have increased fares as well. Don’t worry, there ARE some deals to be found, so check out your departure city and see if you can save some money or points!
One reminder reader Chad pointed out recently is to make sure to check out destinations beyond my list below and be sure to click into the dates for each listing in the sale. Sometimes, you can find even LOWER prices than what Southwest has listed as the sale price. Definitely worth a look!
Sample Southwest Sale Fares
Here are some of the best fares we found as part of this Southwest sale:
Interisland Hawaii flights from $39!
- Albany to Baltimore-Washington – $107
- Albuquerque to Denver, Phoenix – $95-$97
- Amarillo to Dallas – $79
- Atlanta to Ft. Lauderdale, Memphis, Orlando, Pittsburgh, San Antonio, Washington Dulles or Reagan – $77-$94
- Atlanta to Nashville, Greenville-Spartanburg – $49
- Austin to Dallas, New Orleans – $93-$95
- Baltimore-Washington to Boston, Charleston, Cincinnati, Grand Rapids, Greenville-Spartanburg – $59-$96
- Birmingham to Orlando – $105 (Orlando as low as $101 recently)
- Boise to Sacramento, San Jose, Spokane – $74-$98
- Boston to Baltimore-Washington – $59
- Buffalo-Niagara to Chicago, Ft. Lauderdale – $101-$105
- Burbank to Denver, Las Vegas, Oakland, Phoenix, Portland, Sacramento, Salt Lake, San Francisco, San Jose – $54-$94
- Charleston to Baltimore-Washington – $95
- Charlotte to Baltimore-Washington – $105 ($101 in recent weeks)
- Charlotte to Nashville – $74
- Chicago Midway to Cincinnati, Detroit, Grand Rapids, Indy, Louisville, New York LaGuardia – $78-$97
- Cincinnati to Baltimore-Washington, Chicago – $78-$83
- Cleveland to Atlanta, Baltimore-Washington, St. Louis – $92-$107
- Columbus, Ohio to Atlanta, Washington Reagan – $89-$107
- Dallas to Amarillo, Austin, Denver, Houston, Kansas City, Little Rock, Memphis, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Omaha, San Antonio, Tulsa – $69-$110
- Denver to Albuquerque, Austin, Boise, Burbank, Cincinnati, Dallas, El Paso, Kansas City, Las Vegas, Long Beach, Lubbock, Memphis, Minneapolis, Oklahoma City, Omaha, Salt Lake City, San Antonio, San Francisco, San Jose, Seattle, St. Louis, Tulsa – $91-$110
- Des Moines to St. Louis – $92
- Detroit to Atlanta, Baltimore-Washington, Chicago, Nashville – $92-$108
- El Paso to Burbank, Denver, Long Beach, LA, Ontario, Phoenix, San Diego, San Jose – $59-$110
- Ft. Lauderdale to Atlanta, Grand Cayman, Nassau, New Orleans, Orlando, Turks and Caicos, Raleigh-Durham, Washington (Reagan) – $59-$97
- Ft. Myers to Atlanta – $109
- Grand Rapids to Baltimore-Washington, Chicago – $93-$96
- Greenville-Spartanburg to Atlanta, Baltimore-Washington – $49-$86
- Houston to Atlanta, Corpus Christi, Little Rock, Louisville, Omaha – $59-$105
- Indy to Atlanta, Baltimore-Washington, Chicago – $92-$107
- Jacksonville to Atlanta – $107
- Kansas City to Atlanta, Dallas, Denver, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, San Antonio – $97-$107
- Las Vegas to Burbank, Long Beach, LA, Oakland, Ontario, Orange County-Santa Ana, Phoenix, Portland, Sacramento, Salt Lake City, San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose, Seattle – $59-$100
- Little Rock to Dallas, Houston-Hobby – $69-$86
- Long Beach to Denver, Las Vegas, Oakland, Portland, Sacramento, San Jose, Seattle – $54-$95
- Los Angeles to El Paso, Las Vegas, Oakland, Phoenix, Portland, Sacramento, Salt Lake City, San Francisco, San Jose, Tucson – $59-$94
- Louisville to Baltimore-Washington, Chicago, Houston – $97-$109
- Lubbock to Denver – $92
- Memphis to Atlanta, Chicago, Denver, Orlando – $77-$105
- Milwaukee to Atlanta, Cleveland, Dallas, Houston, Kansas City, Nashville – $86-$112
- Minneapolis to Dallas, Denver, Jacksonville, Kansas City, St. Louis – $94-$106
- Nashville to Atlanta, Buffalo-Niagara, Charlotte, Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit, Milwaukee, New York-LaGuardia, OKC, Orlando, Panama City Beach, Pensacola, Pittsburgh, Raleigh-Durham, St. Louis, Tampa – $49-$109
- New Orleans to Austin, Ft. Lauderdale, San Antonio – $92-$95
- New York LaGuardia to Atlanta, Chicago, Nashville, Tampa – $95-$109
- Norfolk to Baltimore-Washington, Orlando – $97-$100
- Oakland to Burbank, Las Vegas, Long Beach, LA, Ontario-LA, Portland, Reno-Tahoe, Salt Lake, San Diego, Seattle – $59-$98
- OKC to Denver – $93
- Omaha to Dallas, Denver, Houston, San Diego – $90-$109
- Ontario to Las Vegas, Oakland, Phoenix, Portland, Sacramento, San Francisco, San Jose – $59-$98
- Orange County to Las Vegas, San Jose – $69-$100
- Orlando to Atlanta, Ft. Lauderdale, New Orleans, Norfolk, Pittsburgh, Raleigh-Durham – $59-$100
- Pensacola to Nashville – $106
- Philly to Tampa – $112
- Phoenix to Albuquerque, Burbank, El Paso, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Ontario, Seattle – $59-$97
- Pittsburgh to Atlanta, Ft. Lauderdale, Nashville, Orlando, St. Louis or Tampa – $84-$108
- Portland (Maine) to Baltimore-Washington – $107
- Portland, OR to Burbank, Las Vegas, Long Beach, Los Angeles, Oakland, Ontario, San Jose, – $79-$98
- Providence to Baltimore-Washington, Chicago, Orlando, Washington-Reagan – $59-$111
- Raleigh-Durham to Nashville, Orlando, Tampa – $100-$102
- Reno-Tahoe to Oakland, San Jose – $59-$76
- Sacramento to Boise, Burbank, Long Beach, LA, Ontario, San Diego – $54-$86
- Salt Lake City to Burbank, Denver, Las Vegas, LA, Oakland, San Diego, San Jose – $59-$98
- San Antonio to Atlanta, Denver, New Orleans – $89-$99
- San Diego to El Paso, Las Vegas, Oakland, Sacramento, Salt Lake City, San Francisco, San Jose – $54-$92
- San Francisco to Burbank, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Ontario, San Diego – $59-$74
- San Jose to Boise, Burbank, El Paso, Las Vegas, Long Beach, Los Angeles, Ontario, Orange Co., Portland (Oregon), Reno, Salt Lake City, San Diego, Seattle, Tucson, $54-$98
- Seattle to Denver, Las Vegas, Long Beach, Oakland, San Jose – $82-$95
- Spokane to Boise – $74
- St. Louis to Cleveland, Denver, Des Moines, Little Rock, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Nashville, Pittsburgh, Wichita – $92-$110
- Tampa to Atlanta, Birmingham, Columbus, Indy, Memphis, Nashville, New York LaGuardia, Philly, Pittsburgh, Raleigh-Durham – $102-$113
- Tucson to LA, San Jose – $94-$98
- Tulsa to Dallas, Denver – $85-$100
- Washington Dulles to Atlanta – $94 (as low as $89 recently)
- Washington Reagan to Atlanta, Columbus, Providence – $59-$94
- West Palm Beach to Atlanta – $102
Here is the direct link to the Southwest sale. Click on your home airport (or nearest airport) from the drop down list to see sale prices to various destinations.
Tips for Booking Your Southwest Flights
Remember to use the Low Fare Calendar and check dates yourself. For example, Lyn found super cheap fares (3,600 points per way) from Indy to Denver in September and 6,000 points per way from Indy to LAX in October in the Low Fare Calendar.
Please share any good deals you spot on the Go to Travel Gal Cheap Southwest Fares Facebook page so we can help EVERYONE save!
How to Change a Flight on Southwest
If you’ve already booked a flight and want to see if there is a lower price, go to the Southwest.com, scroll down to the blue bar and click on Change/Cancel, enter your name and confirmation number, select Change and then review the current points prices.
Southwest charges NO cancellation or change fees, so you can rebook with no penalty if you find a lower price.
With updates to Southwest’s online reservation system, when you select Change, the system now shows you how much more or less current fares are than what you paid (either in points or cash). This makes it super easy to see whether you should “change” your flights to get a lower fare.
This functionality does NOT work, however, if you have added “companion” from your Southwest Companion Pass to your ticket. You will have to go to the Southwest Low Fare Calendar, check prices, remember what you paid to start with and then see if you should rebook.
To rebook, you’ll need to first remove your Companion (under My Trips in your My Account section at Southwest.com). You can then re-add them also under My Trips in your My Account section after you’ve rebooked the flight, though sometimes it takes 24 hours from booking before it will allow you to do that.
To help keep track of what you pay in points or cash each time you book a flight, so you can later compare it with sale prices, check out my Flight Tracker tool in the Get Organized: Miles & Points Toolkit ($7) I’ve created. It’s super handy and a big time-saver rather than having to dig up what you paid for a flight each time you want to compare.
Combine these sales with the Southwest Companion Pass, which lets one person fly free with you, and you can stretch your points quite far.
Download my free guide that shows you “10 things you MUST know to earn the Southwest Companion Pass”:
Download Your FREE Guide & Start Flying FREE on Southwest!
Want points to book free flights on Southwest?
Check out the Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Visa cards, which let you earn tens of thousands of points that you can use to book free flights on Southwest!
- Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus Visa card (Personal: 75,000 points after meeting the minimum spend! Highest available offer on a Southwest card!)
- Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier card (Personal: 75,000 points after meeting the minimum spend! Highest available offer on a Southwest card!)
- Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Priority card (Personal: 75,000 points after meeting the minimum spend! Highest available offer on a Southwest card!)
- Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Business card (60,000 points after meeting the minimum spend)
- Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Performance Business card (70,000 points after meeting the minimum spend!)
These points also qualify for the 125,000 points you need to earn the Southwest Companion Pass, so one person can fly free with you for up to two years.
Keep in mind you can only hold ONE personal Southwest card at a time, though you can hold two Southwest business cards.
My Favorite Travel Credit Card: Chase Sapphire Preferred
Flexible points transfer to Southwest instantly, 2X points on dining and travel, 60,000 points after meeting the minimum spend and only a $95 annual fee! Please note, this card’s points DO NOT qualify for the Southwest Companion Pass.
10 Things You Can Do to Start Flying Free TODAY!
Enter your email to get a free PDF that shows you 10 easy things you can do to begin your journey toward flying free RIGHT NOW! You'll also be added to Go to Travel Gal's weekly email newsletter list.