There are two new Southwest sales both ending Thursday, March 21. There is a Southwest sale for domestic flights, as well as international flights.
Both sales end March 21 at 11:59 p.m. in each originating city’s respective time zone.
Note: See the bottom of this post for how to check and see if there is a cheaper price on flights you’ve already booked and get refunded points or a travel credit if you paid for it. There is NO FEE to change or cancel flights on Southwest.
Please note, Southwest has stopped including points prices in their sale listings, so I can only show you the cash price. However, the cash price should give you an indication of what the points price is likely to be, and you can click through on the gold “Go” button to check points prices, as well.
Also, you can often get better deals by taking a connecting flight, so don’t forget to consider those fares, as well.
Want someone to walk you through EXACTLY what you need to do to earn your 2019 Southwest Companion Pass — no guesswork required 😉 — so you can fly one person FREE with you always on Southwest? Enroll in my online course, “How to Earn Your 2019 Southwest Companion Pass … Step by Step.” It comes complete with step-by-step checklists, case studies, roadmaps and everything you need to get your pass quickly and cheaply!
Southwest Domestic Sale Details
Dates: The sale is good for nonstop domestic Wanna Getaway fares April 9 through June 12, 2019 and August 20 through October 30, 2019 on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Saturdays with a few exceptions. Travel to Puerto Rico is slightly different.
Black-out dates include: May 23-24, May 27, August 30, September 2, 2019.
My assessment: The $39 fares we had in last week’s sale are gone, and overall this sale has prices that are the same or higher, with some Florida cities returning. There are also some good deals to California. Here are some suggestions of top things to do in California.
Download Your FREE Guide & Start Flying FREE on Southwest!
Sample Southwest Sale Fares
Here are some of the best fares I found as part of this Southwest sale:
- Albany to Baltimore/Washington – $98
- Albuquerque to Las Vegas, Denver, San Diego, Los Angeles or Phoenix – $86-$95
- Atlanta to Nashville – $67
- Atlanta to Boston, Cleveland, Detroit, Columbus, Houston, Kansas City, Jacksonville, Tampa or West Palm Beach – $91-$98
- Atlanta to Orlando, Ft Lauderdale – $82-$85
- Austin to New Orleans – $86
- Baltimore/Washington to Albany, Charlotte, Cleveland, Detroit, Indy, Norfolk, Portland (Maine), Raleigh/Durham, Rochester – $91-$98
- Birmingham to Orlando – $96
- Boise to San Jose – $89
- Boston to Atlanta or Indianapolis – $90-$91
- Burbank to San Jose – $49
- Charlotte to Baltimore/Washington or Nashville – $91-$96
- Chicago Midway to New York Newark or New York LaGuardia – $91
- Chicago Midway to Louisville – $88
- Cincinnati to Baltimore/Washington – $74
- Cleveland to Atlanta, Baltimore/Washington, Nashville, St. Louis – $94-$98
- Columbus, Ohio to Washington/Reagan – $80
- Dallas to Denver – $93
- Denver to Albuquerque, Houston, Las Vegas, OKC – $79-$89
- Denver to Cincinnati – $98
- Detroit to Atlanta, Baltimore Washington, Nashville – $91-$99
- El Paso to Denver, San Diego or Phoenix – $69-$71
- Ft. Lauderdale to New Orleans – $87
- Hartford to Tampa – $96
- Houston to Atlanta, Louisville, Denver – $89-$96
- Indy to Boston, Baltimore/Washington, Ft. Myers – $89-$91
- Jacksonville to Atlanta – $98
- Kansas City to Denver, Atlanta – $91-$93
- Las Vegas to San Jose, Salt Lake City, Long Beach – $51-$55
- Long Beach to San Jose – $49
- LA to San Jose – $49
- Louisville to Chicago – $88
- Lubbock to Denver – $69
- Memphis to Orlando – $91
- Minneapolis to Dallas or Denver – $97
- Nashville to Orlando or Tampa – $93
- New Orleans to Orlando or Ft. Lauderdale – $87-$91
- New York/Newark & New York/LaGuardia to Chicago – $91
- New York LaGuardia to Nashville – $99
- Oakland to most Cali cities – $59
- Oakland to Vegas, Reno – $49
- OKC to Denver – $84
- Orange Co to Las Vegas – $91
- Orlando to Atlanta, New Orleans, Nashville, Norfolk, Pittsburgh, Raleigh-Durham, Birmingham – $85-$96
- Pensacola and Panama City to Nashville – $97
- Phoenix to San Jose, Ontario, Oakland, LA, Burbank or San Francisco – $84
- Pittsburgh to Tampa, Orlando, Nashville – $91-$97
- Portland, ME to Baltimore/Washington – $98
- Portland, OR to San Diego – $97, several Cali cities for between $70-$74
- Raleigh/Durham to Orlando, Nashville – $93
- Reno to Oakland or San Jose – $67-$69
- Salt Lake City to San Diego – $83
- San Antonio to New Orleans – $86
- San Diego to San Jose – $49
- San Francisco to multiple Cali cities – $59
- Seattle to San Jose, Oakland – $72
- Spokane to Boise – $65
- St. Louis to Nashville, Wichita, Des Moines – $83
- Tampa to Pittsburgh, Atlanta, Hartford, Nashville – $93-$96
- Tucson to Los Angeles, San Jose, San Diego – $85-$91
- Tulsa to Denver – $91
- Washington Reagan to Ft. Lauderdale – $92
- West Palm Beach to Atlanta – $93
- Wichita to St. Louis – $83
Here is the direct link to the Southwest sale. Click on your home airport (or nearest airport) from the dropdown list to see sale prices to various destinations.
International Southwest Sale
We’ve had some really interesting international sales in February and now extending into March with Southwest. They’ve continued to focus on smaller cities that are not usually included, though have now added back many of the major departure cities as well like Atlanta and Denver.
The international Southwest sale is for flights throughout the Caribbean, Central America and Mexico.
This sale is for nonstop Monday through Thursday flights April 23 through May 16, 2019 and August 20 through October 1, 2019. Complete rules here.
This sale ends Thursday, March 21, 2019 at 11:59 p.m. in each originating city’s time zone.
My assessment: Two weeks ago was the BEST Caribbean sale we’ve seen in the last 5-6 weeks. Many fares were $4-$5 lower and the lowest I’ve seen them in this time period, and these fares continue into this week. These are NOT the best fares I’ve ever seen, but they are better than we’ve seen in the last month or so.
Cancun and Puerto Vallarta are definitely top vacation spots for this sale, though Costa Rica and the Dominican Republic have popped back on, as well.
We did not see the Caribbean sale I was hoping for in February. Instead, we briefly got $49 flights to Hawaii and then $99 flights to Hawaii. Hope you were able to snag one of these if it was on your list!
Here are some sample one-way flights as part of the Southwest sale:
- Atlanta to Cabo – $208
- Atlanta to Belize – $147
- Atlanta to Nassau – $133
- Austin to Nassau – $153
- Austin to Belize – $167
- Austin to Liberia, Costa Rica – $213
- Baltimore/Washington to Havana, Cuba – $174
- Baltimore/Washington to Belize City – $167
- Baltimore/Washington to Grand Cayman – $169
- Birmingham to Cancun – $194
- Boston to Cancun – $212
- Chicago Midway to Belize – $167
- Chicago Midway to Puerta Vallarta – $203
- Cincinnati to Montego Bay – $208
- Cleveland to Cancun – $212
- Columbus to Nassau – $143
- Columbus (OH) to Havana, Cuba – $174
- Corpus Christi, Texas to Belize – $167
- Corpus Christi, Texas to Cancun – $198
- Dallas to Belize City – $167
- Dallas to Cancun or Puerto Vallarta – $198
- El Paso to Cancun – $198
- Ft. Lauderdale to Puerta Vallarta – $218 ($216 recently)
- Hartford to Cancun – $212
- Houston to Havana – $184
- Indy to Puerto Vallarta or Cabo – $203 ($201 recently)
- Jacksonville to Cancun – $185
- Jacksonville to San Jose, Costa Rica – $222
- Kansas City to Cancun – $222
- Las Vegas to Cancun – $218
- Las Vegas to Puerto Vallarta – $203
- Los Angeles to Belize – $187
- Long Island to Belize City – $167
- Long Island to San Jose, Costa Rica – $202
- Louisville to Cancun – $212
- Manchester, NH to Cancun – $212
- Memphis to Cancun – $194
- Memphis to Cabo – $208
- Midland/Odessa TX to Puerto Vallarta – $203 ($201 recently)
- Milwaukee to Puerto Vallarta – $203
- Minneapolis to Cancun – $212
- Nashville to Cabo – $222
- Nashville to Havana – $164
- New Orleans to Puerto Vallarta – $208 (was $186 recently)
- New York/Newark to Cancun – $212 ($208 recently)
- New York/LaGuardia to Cancun – $212
- New York/LaGuardia to Puerto Vallarta – $222 ($220 recently)
- New York/LaGuardia to Cabo – $222 ($220 recently)
- Norfolk to Cancun – $212
- Oklahoma City to Cancun – $194
- Omaha to Cancun – $222
- Orlando to Havana, Cuba – $124
- Orlando to San Jose, Costa Rica – $176
- Philly to Havana, Cuba – $174
- Philly to Cancun – $212
- Phoenix to Cancun – $240
- Phoenix to Cabo – $203
- Providence, RI to Cancun – $212
- Raleigh/Durham to Cabo – $208
- Salt Lake City to Cancun $240
- San Antonio to Puerto Vallarta – $198
- St. Louis to Cabo or Puerto Vallarta – $203
- Tampa to San Jose, Costa Rica – $176
- Tampa to Cancun – $139
- Tulsa to Puerto Vallarta – $208
- Washington Reagan to Belize City – $167
- Washington Reagan to Havana, Cuba – $173
- Washington Reagan to Cancun – $212
Here is the direct link to the international destinations Southwest sale.
How to Change a Flight on Southwest
If you’ve already booked a flight and want to see if there is a lower price, go to the Southwest.com, scroll down to the blue bar and click on Change/Cancel, enter your name and confirmation number, select Change and then review the current points prices.
Southwest charges NO cancellation or change fees, so you can rebook with no penalty if you find a lower price.
With updates to Southwest’s online reservation system, when you select Change, the system now shows you how much more or less current fares are than what you paid (either in points or cash). This makes it super easy to see whether you should “change” your flights to get a lower fare.
This functionality does NOT work, however, if you have added “companion” from your Southwest Companion Pass to your ticket. You will have to go to the Southwest Low Fare Calendar, check prices, remember what you paid to start with and then see if you should rebook.
To rebook, you’ll need to first remove your Companion (under My Trips in your My Account section at Southwest.com). You can then readd them also under My Trips in your My Account section after you’ve rebooked the flight, though sometimes it takes 24 hours from booking before it will allow you to do that.
To help keep track of what you pay in points or cash each time you book a flight, so you can later compare it with sale prices, check out my Flight Tracker tool in the Frequent Flyer Toolkit. It’s super handy and a big time-saver rather than having to dig up what you paid for a flight each time you want to compare.
Combine these sales with the Southwest Companion Pass, which lets one person fly free with you, and you can stretch your points quite far. Download my free guide that walks you step by step through how to quickly and easily earn the Southwest Companion Pass below:
Download Your FREE Guide & Start Flying FREE on Southwest!
- How to Know If a Southwest Sale Is a Good One
- 8 Reasons Why I Love to Fly Southwest Airlines
- Does Southwest Fly to Hawaii?
10 Things You Can Do to Start Flying Free TODAY!
Enter your email to get a free PDF that shows you 10 easy things you can do to begin your journey toward flying free RIGHT NOW! You'll also be added to Go to Travel Gal's weekly email newsletter list.