There are two new Southwest sales both ending Thursday, May 9. There is a Southwest sale for domestic flights, as well as international flights.
Both sales end Thursday, May 9 at 11:59 p.m. in each originating city’s respective time zone.
Note: See the bottom of this post for how to check and see if there is a cheaper price on flights you’ve already booked and get refunded points or a travel credit if you paid for it. There is NO FEE to change or cancel flights on Southwest.
Please note, Southwest has stopped including points prices in their sale listings, so I can only show you the cash price. However, the cash price should give you an indication of what the points price is likely to be, and you can click through on the gold “Go” button to check points prices, as well.
Also, you can often get better deals by taking a connecting flight, so don’t forget to consider those fares, as well.
Southwest Domestic Sale Details
Dates: The sale is good for nonstop domestic Wanna Getaway fares August 20 through October 30, 2019 on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Saturdays with a few exceptions. Travel to Puerto Rico is slightly different. And interisland Hawaii travel is valid May 28 through October 1, 2019.
Note: Southwest has delayed the release of November, December and January flights from May 29 to June 20. Stay tuned to Go to Travel Gal for updates in case that changes again!
Black-out dates include: August 30, September 2, 2019
My assessment: This is about the same as last week, which was definitely NOT as good of a sale as we’ve seen in recent weeks. Overall, prices are up from past sales in many cases by $10 or so (others remain the same) and many cities have dropped off the list.
Download Your FREE Guide & Start Flying FREE on Southwest!
Sample Southwest Sale Fares
Here are some of the best fares I found as part of this Southwest sale:
- Albany to Baltimore/Washington – $98
- Albuquerque to Las Vegas, Denver, San Diego, Los Angeles or Phoenix – $86-$95
- Atlanta to Nashville – $49
- Atlanta to Orlando or Ft. Lauderdale – $82-$85
- Atlanta to Boston, Cleveland, Columbus, Houston, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Tampa – $91-$98
- Atlanta to Nashville – $49
- Austin to New Orleans – $86
- Baltimore/Washington to Albany, Charlotte, Cleveland, Detroit, Indy, Norfolk, Rochester – $91-$98
- Birmingham to Orlando – $96
- Boise to Sacramento – $77
- Boston to Atlanta – $91
- Burbank to San Jose – $49
- Charlotte to Baltimore/Washington or Nashville – $91-$96
- Chicago Midway to New York Newark, Nashville – $91-$99
- Chicago Midway to Louisville – $88
- Cincinnati to Baltimore/Washington – $79
- Cincy to Denver – $98
- Cleveland to Atlanta, Baltimore/Washington, Nashville – $94-$98
- Columbus, Ohio to Atlanta – $98
- Dallas to Denver or Kansas City – $88-$93
- Denver to Cincinnati, Kansas City, Las Vegas, Long Beach, Tulsa, OKC and Dallas – $91-$99
- Denver to Albuquerque, Houston – $79-$89
- Detroit to Baltimore Washington, Nashville – $98-$99
- El Paso to San Diego or Phoenix – $69-$71
- Ft. Lauderdale to Atlanta, New Orleans – $82-$87
- Grand Rapids to Baltimore/Washington – $87
- Houston to Atlanta, Denver – $89-$93
- Indy to Baltimore/Washington, Atlanta – $97-$98
- Indy to Denver, Orlando or Tampa – $104-$107
- Kansas City to Denver, Atlanta, Dallas, Minneapolis – $88-$93
- Las Vegas to San Jose, San Francisco, Long Beach, Oakland, LA, San Diego – $55-$64
- Long Beach to San Jose, Las Vegas, Oakland, Sacramento – $49-$59
- Long Beach to Denver – $99
- LA to San Jose, Las Vegas, Oakland, Sacramento, San Francisco – $49-$59
- Louisville to Chicago – $88
- Lubbock to Denver – $69
- Memphis to Orlando – $91
- Milwaukee to Cleveland- $76
- Minneapolis to Denver – $97
- Nashville to Atlanta – $49
- Nashville to Pensacola, Panama City, St Louis, Tampa, Detroit, Cleveland, Chicago Midway, Orlando, Charlotte, New York LaGuardia – $89-$99
- New Orleans to Ft. Lauderdale, Austin or Orlando – $86-$91
- New York/Newark to Chicago – $91
- New York LaGuardia to Nashville – $99
- Oakland to most Cali cities – $59
- OKC to Denver – $91
- Orange Co to Vegas – $91
- Orlando to Atlanta, Birmingham, Memphis, Nashville, New Orleans, Pittsburgh, Raleigh-Durham – $85-$96
- Pensacola and Panama City to Nashville – $97
- Phoenix to Vegas – $69
- Phoenix to Burbank, LA, Oakland, Ontario, San Francisco, San Jose – $84
- Pittsburgh to Tampa, Orlando, St. Louis – $91-$99
- Portland, OR to LA, Oakland, Ontario, San Jose – $70-$74
- Raleigh/Durham to Orlando – $93
- Reno to Oakland or San Jose – $67-$69
- Reno to LA – $96
- Sacramento to many Cali cities – $59
- Salt Lake City to Vegas – $59
- San Antonio to New Orleans – $86
- San Diego to San Jose – $49
- San Diego to Tucson, Albuquerque, Phoenix, Portland, Spokane, Salt Lake City – $90-$96
- San Francisco to multiple Cali cities – $59
- San Jose to Burbank, LA, Long Beach, San Diego – $49
- Seattle to San Jose, Oakland – $72
- Spokane to San Diego – $96
- St. Louis to Nashville, Wichita – $83-$89
- St. Louis to Pittsburgh – $99
- Tampa to Pittsburgh, Atlanta, Nashville – $93-$96
- Tucson to Los Angeles, San Jose, San Diego – $85-$91
- Tulsa to Dallas or Denver – $82-$91
- Washington Reagan to Ft. Lauderdale – $92
- West Palm Beach to Atlanta – $101
Here is the direct link to the Southwest sale. Click on your home airport (or nearest airport) from the dropdown list to see sale prices to various destinations.
International Southwest Sale
The international Southwest sale is for flights throughout the Caribbean, Central America and Mexico.
This sale is for nonstop flights on Tuesdays and Wednesdays only for late summer and fall: August 20 through October 31, 2019. Complete rules here.
This sale ends Thursday, May 9, 2019 at 11:59 p.m. in each originating city’s time zone.
Note: Two weeks ago, the international sale web page had a new look, which also shows you how many stops for the flights! I’m not sure why :). Now it seems to be back to the old screen :(.
My assessment: This week prices are higher than they were in last week’s sale by an average of $10. Our awesome Caribbean sale from two weeks is gone 🙁 and prices are back up by $40 or more dollars PER WAY in most cases from the prices we saw in that sale. I hope you were able to take advantage of the good sale! There ARE some good deals here to Turks & Caicos.
Here are some sample one-way flights as part of the international Southwest sale:
- Albuquerque to Cancun – $231 ($222 last week)
- Atlanta to Turks & Caicos – $143
- Atlanta to San Jose, Costa Rica – $212
- Austin to Belize – $171 ($138 recently, $161 last week)
- Austin to Nassau – $163 ($148 recently, $153 last week)
- Baltimore/Washington to Havana, Cuba – $184 ($160 recently, $174 last week)
- Birmingham to Cancun – $203 ($187 recently, $194 last week)
- Chicago Midway to San Jose, Costa Rica – $241 ($232 last week)
- Cincinnati to Cancun – $222 ($212 last week)
- Cleveland to Cancun – $222 ($212 last week, $184 recently)
- Columbus, Ohio to Havana, Cuba – $184 ($174 last week)
- Dallas to Belize City – $176 ($167 last week, $138 recently)
- Dallas to Cancun – $208 ($198 last week, $167 recently)
- Houston to Punta Cana, Dominican Republic – $248 ($239 last week)
- Indy to Havana – $193 ($184 last week, $170 recently)
- Jacksonville to Nassau – $113 ($103 last week, $99 recently)
- Kansas City to Cancun – $231 ($222 last week, $193 recently)
- Las Vegas to Cabo – $212 ($203 last week, $192 recently)
- Louisville to Cancun – $222 ($212 last week, $182 recently)
- Memphis to Cancun – $203 ($194 last week, $187 recently)
- Midland/Odessa TX to Cancun – $208 ($198 last week, $167 recently)
- Minneapolis to Cancun – $222 ($212 last week, $193 recently)
- Nashville to San Jose, Costa Rica- $222 ($203 last week)
- New Orleans to San Jose, Costa Rica – $222 ($213 last week, $193 recently)
- Oklahoma City to Cancun – $203 ($194 last week)
- Omaha to Cancun – $231 ($222 last week, $193 recently)
- Orlando to Havana, Cuba – $124 (same as last week!)
- Philly to Cancun – $222 ($212 last week, $182 recently)
- Phoenix to Cancun – $249 ($240 last week, $201 recently)
- Phoenix to Cabo – $212 ($203 last week, $192 recently)
- Raleigh/Durham to San Jose, Costa Rica – $222 ($213 last week, $193 recently)
- Salt Lake City to Cancun – $249
- St. Louis to Turks & Caicos – $163
- Tampa to San Jose, Costa Rica – $186 ($176 last week)
- Washington Reagan to Havana, Cuba – $183 ($173 last week, $160 recently)
- Washington Reagan to Cancun – $222 ($212 last week, $182 recently)
Here is the direct link to the international destinations Southwest sale.
How to Change a Flight on Southwest
If you’ve already booked a flight and want to see if there is a lower price, go to the Southwest.com, scroll down to the blue bar and click on Change/Cancel, enter your name and confirmation number, select Change and then review the current points prices.
Southwest charges NO cancellation or change fees, so you can rebook with no penalty if you find a lower price.
With updates to Southwest’s online reservation system, when you select Change, the system now shows you how much more or less current fares are than what you paid (either in points or cash). This makes it super easy to see whether you should “change” your flights to get a lower fare.
This functionality does NOT work, however, if you have added “companion” from your Southwest Companion Pass to your ticket. You will have to go to the Southwest Low Fare Calendar, check prices, remember what you paid to start with and then see if you should rebook.
To rebook, you’ll need to first remove your Companion (under My Trips in your My Account section at Southwest.com). You can then readd them also under My Trips in your My Account section after you’ve rebooked the flight, though sometimes it takes 24 hours from booking before it will allow you to do that.
To help keep track of what you pay in points or cash each time you book a flight, so you can later compare it with sale prices, check out my Flight Tracker tool in the Get Organized: Miles & Points Toolkit I’ve created. It’s super handy and a big time-saver rather than having to dig up what you paid for a flight each time you want to compare.
Combine these sales with the Southwest Companion Pass, which lets one person fly free with you, and you can stretch your points quite far. Download my free guide that shows you 10 things you MUST know to earn the Southwest Companion Pass:
Download Your FREE Guide & Start Flying FREE on Southwest!
Note: This post contains affiliate links, for which I may earn a commission if you apply after clicking through. You never have to use these links, but I greatly appreciate it if you do as it helps support the blog. Thank you!
Want points to book free flights on Southwest?
Check out the Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Visa cards! These include:
- Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus Visa card (personal)
- Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier card (personal)
- Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Priority card (personal)
- Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Business card
These points also qualify for the 110,000 points you need to earn the Southwest Companion Pass, so one person can fly free with you for up to two years. Keep in mind you can only hold ONE personal card and ONE business card at a time.
- How to Know If a Southwest Sale Is a Good One
- 8 Reasons Why I Love to Fly Southwest Airlines
- Does Southwest Fly to Hawaii?
10 Things You Can Do to Start Flying Free TODAY!
Enter your email to get a free PDF that shows you 10 easy things you can do to begin your journey toward flying free RIGHT NOW! You'll also be added to Go to Travel Gal's weekly email newsletter list.