Note: This post contains affiliate links through which I may earn referral points if you apply through them.
One of my favorite perks of the Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Cards from American Express is the ability to use your bonus and earned Starpoints, the currenty of the Starwood Preferred Guest program, to purchase tickets to events. In fact, that’s the only way I’ve used this SPG (Starwood Preferred Guest, Starwood Hotels’ loyalty program) card!
I used just less than half of the 68,000 points I earned by signing up for both a personal and business card and meeting the minimum spend on each (Note: The offers I applied and was approved for are expired and no longer available) to purchase four tickets to see “School of Rock on Broadway“ through the SPG Moments program that lets you purchase or bid on tickets to events.
I used their Points + Cash option and ended up spending just less than $200 for four tickets, which is less than the cost of one regular full price ticket. Plus, we sat in the second row!! See in detail how I did it in this post.
I signed up for the SPG cards originally with my eye on Chicago Cubs tickets, which were listed in SPG Moments as available for between 25,000-30,000 for 2 tickets. I had never been to Wrigley Field, nor had my kiddos, and since we live in Indianapolis and Chicago is less than three hours up the road from us, the city is one of our favorite places to go. Plus, a Cubs game has long been on our Bucket List.
However, upon finally earning my SPG bonus Starpoints, the Chicago Cubs tickets I was considering in the spring were already taken. So I focused on the Broadway tickets instead.
With a little patience, the Chicago Cubs tickets came back around in the summer for fall games, and I snagged 4 tickets for us.
Here’s what I purchased with my SPG Starpoints:
- 4 seats in the SPG Luxury Suite for the Milwaukee Brewers vs. Chicago Cubs game at Wrigley Field in September for a total of 50,000 SPG Points
- The SPG Luxury Suite, situated behind home plate, provides free food and drink throughout the game and a cool place to escape the sun for a bit. Read my review of the SPG Luxury Suite at Wrigley Field, take a tour of the suite on the SPG website or read Mommy Points’ review of her experience there. Note: Kids younger than 6 are not allowed in the suite.
Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Cards With Bonus Starpoints
Note: To apply for the credit cards included in this post and to help support Go to Travel Gal at NO COST to you, please click on Travel Credit Cards on the main menu above. This allows me to earn a commission, so that I may continue to bring you great information free, while paying the blogging bills :). I sincerely appreciate you taking this step!
What You Can Get With 25,000+ SPG Starpoints:
- 2 box seats at a Chicago Cubs game
- 2 tickets to Orioles versus Washington Nationals
- 2 SPG Luxury Suite tickets for a Chicago Cubs game
- 2 Premium tickets + meal for 2 at the 2016 Formula 1™ Singapore Airlines Singapore Grand Prix Qualifying Day
- 2 tickets for a New York Mets game
What You Can Get with 50,000+ SPG Starpoints:
- 2 tickets to see Halsey at Madison Square Garden in SPG Luxury Suite
- 2 tickets to see Kanye West at Madison Square Garden in SPG Luxury Suite
- 2 tickets to see Drake at the STAPLES Center in L.A. in SPG Luxury Suite
- 2 tickets to see Louis C.K. at Madison Square Gardens in SPG Luxury Suite
Note: Their offerings continually change, so check back if you don’t see something that’s of interest. I spotted Pearl Jam tickets at Wrigley Field, which I would LOVE, but I don’t have enough points and they were gone pretty quickly. 🙁
How to Book MLB Tickets on SPG Moments:
- Go to SPG.com/Moments
- Click Partners/Major League Baseball or Chicago Cubs
- Click Events
- Select the event you want to purchase and click Redeem
- Oh and be sure you have an SPG account and are logged in!
Other Fun Chicago Cubs Options Available Through SPG Moments:
- Deliver the line-up card at Wrigley Field
- Throw out a ceremonial pitch
- Take the field alongside the Cubs before the game
- Sing the National Anthem before a game!
How fun are these events? And you could do them for FREE just by using these credit cards to pay your everyday expenses. I tell ya, it makes life grand — and a lot more fun 🙂 Go get ’em!
- Review of the SPG Rewards Luxury Suite at Wrigley Field
- How ONE Card Can Net You MLB, Broadway or Amy Shumer Tickets
- How I Booked School of Rock on Broadway for Cheap with SPG Points
- How to Book a Broadway Ticket with SPG Points