When SPG offered their biggest bonus ever (30,000 points) on their AMEX cards, I went ahead and signed up thinking I would use them for Chicago Cubs box seats as part of the SPG Moments program. Well, by the time I earned my bonus points (still working on the business card points), all of the box seats packages had been sold. Bummer!
So I had rethink my plan. We had planned a summer trip to New York City and wanted to take the kids to see “School of Rock” on Broadway. Decent tickets are in the range of $200 each – yikes! SPG Moments does have some Broadway show packages on their site, but none for “School of Rock.”
After much poking around on the Moments site, I discovered that you can book tickets to a TON of Broadway shows with your points. But it’s a bit hidden… So I found and booked 4 tickets with my 35,000-point bonus, using all the points + $192 in cash, less than the cost of ONE ticket. Nice!
They also have tickets to shows in Chicago, San Diego, Durham, LA, San Jose and Tucson.
Here’s how you do it:
- Go to SPG.com/Moments
- Click on Partners/Audience Rewards
- Select the city of your show in the top left and then click Redeem
- Enter the dates you are looking for and check the boxes of the name of the shows you’re considering
- Select Anytime Rewards
- Check both Starpoints Only or Starpoints + Cash (this is if you don’t have enough Starpoints to cover the purchase).
- Click Results
- Click on the various results to find a date that works for you and check the cost in points and points + cash. Note: There are four levels of seating and they don’t tell you exactly where the seats are, but go as high as you are able for the best seats. They provide you the best seats available in the seating level you have chosen with an email AFTER you purchase the tickets.
- If you don’t have enough points, divide the total points you do have available to redeem by the # of tickets you need. Then, start a new search, select Points + Cash and tell it the number of points (total avail points/# of tickets) you can contribute toward each ticket. It will then tell you how much cash is required to actually purchase the ticket.
- When you are ready to purchase, you will have to connect your SPG Rewards # and account to the system before purchasing.
10 Things You Can Do to Start Flying Free TODAY!
Enter your email to get a free PDF that shows you 10 easy things you can do to begin your journey toward flying free RIGHT NOW! You'll also be added to Go to Travel Gal's weekly email newsletter list.