Looking for Southwest Wifi? One of the many benefits of traveling with Southwest Airlines is access to WiFi now on ALL of their flights.
When you’re ready to dive deeper into how to save on travel and get inspiration for where to travel next through exclusive videos, podcasts and digital courses, I invite you to join Go to Travel Gal ALL ACCESS, our premium monthly membership program.
This membership opens for sign-ups the last week of each month ONLY, and you can join the wait list if ALL ACCESS is not currently open. Sign up here.
About Southwest WiFi
While the airline does not have completely free WiFi for computer usage or playing video games, you can purchase it for a reasonable cost.
You can, however, access Southwest’s in-flight entertainment network via your personal device that you bring on board for FREE.
Their free entertainment network allows you to access live TV for many networks, as well as certain TV shows via your smartphone, iPad, etc. (see full list of supported devices) and FREE movies, including TOP NEW releases!
Southwest has made some recent changes to their inflight entertainment options, which has always included access to movies, TV and music. Now you can stream this media directly to your smartphone, laptop or tablet instead of downloading the app for access, which was the only way to access entertainment prior to these recent changes.
These options always help entertain our kids and now we don’t have to worry about remembering to download and update the app prior to boarding. Plus, I always like to work while flying Southwest (I consider it my flying office :)), so I enjoy access to the WiFi for surfing the Web and email which does still require paying the $8 daily fee for WiFi access.
What Activities Can You Do on Southwest WiFi?
- Surf the web on your computer or personal device. Note: The airline does attempt to filter indecent content.
- Access your email
What Is the Cost?
For $8 per day (it works on multiple flights over the course of a day, which is very helpful if you have to change planes), you can get connected to the Internet for email, browsing, work, etc. NetFlix and HBO Go are not available due to high bandwidth required. If you pay for Internet access with your Southwest credit card, you will earn double points, though really that’s only 16 points ;-).
A-List Preferred elite status members get FREE WiFi on Southwest Airlines!
If you hold the Southwest Performance Business card, which has the highest bonus offer of ANY Southwest card, you can charge the WiFi fee to your card 365 days a year and get a statement credit for it, so it’s FREE!
What You Get With the Free Entertainment Portal
- Access to 19 live TV channels and 75 episodes from popular TV series. Southwest has also added ESPN, ESPN2 and the Disney Channel to their line-up of television options. Travelers can catch ESPN sports nearly from take-off to touchdown. That’s great news for sports fans who may be missing a key game when flying. I remember watching the World Cup games on network TV on a Southwest plane a couple years ago!
- Watch a movie. Up to 30 movie options, including new releases. Visit Southwest.com/Wifi to see the current offerings.
- Free instant messaging via WhatsApp or iMessage.
- Stream music via iHeartRadio.
- Play a game.
- Track your flight’s location.
- Watch live or on-demand TV.
How to Connect to the FREE Entertainment Portal
Recent Changes Allow You to Access Inflight Entertainment Without the App
After the recent improvements to the in-flight entertainment portal, passengers still need to complete the following steps but don’t need the app to do so.
- Go into settings and switch to airplane mode, then turn on WiFi
- Choose Southwest WiFi from your network list
- If the portal doesn’t load automatically, type www.southwestwifi.com into the address bar of your web browser
- You may now enjoy your FREE entertainment by accessing it on this web page
In addition to movies, TV and music, Southwest also gives you access to FREE messaging using iMessage or WhatsApp, as well as destination guides for your arrival city.
What’s Coming for Southwest Airlines WiFi?
Southwest’s entire fleet is now WiFi enabled. They continue to work on improving the speed by increasing bandwidth. Hooray!
I’ve noticed the quality of the WiFi on Southwest does seem to be improving.
Have more Southwest WiFi questions? Here are Southwest’s FAQs on the topic.
Want points to book free flights on Southwest?
Check out the Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Visa cards, which let you earn tens of thousands of points that you can use to book free flights on Southwest!
- Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus Visa card (Personal: 40,000 points after $1,000 minimum spend in 3 months)
- Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier card (Personal: 40,000 points after $1,000 minimum spend in 3 months)
- Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Priority card (Personal: 40,000 points after $1,000 minimum spend in 3 months)
These points also qualify for the 125,000 points you need to earn the Southwest Companion Pass, so one person can fly free with you for up to two years.
Keep in mind you can only hold ONE personal Southwest card at a time.
My Favorite Travel Credit Card: Chase Sapphire Preferred
Flexible points transfer to Southwest instantly, 2X points on dining and travel, 80,000 points after meeting a $4,000 minimum spend in 3 months and only a $95 annual fee! Please note, this card’s points DO NOT qualify for the Southwest Companion Pass.
Note: Points earned with this card DO NOT qualify for the Southwest Companion Pass.
- Southwest Early Bird Check In FAQs
- Tips for Smooth, Stress-Free Southwest Check In
- 9 Things to Know Before Boarding a Southwest Plane
- What is Southwest Business Select?
- 13 Reasons You Need to Have the Southwest App
7 Ways to Earn Miles From Home
Enter your email to get a free PDF that shows you 7 easy things you can do to collect miles from HOME for FUTURE travel! You'll also be added to Go to Travel Gal's weekly email newsletter list.