“We do not remember days, we remember moments.” – Cesare Pavese
It was a similar quote I viewed yesterday while visiting the World of Coca-Cola on a visit to see family in Atlanta. The quote preceded a lovely film that showed people experiences amazing moments in life, of course accompanied by a Coke :).
But it made me think… that is exactly what I am striving for when it comes to travel: creating memorable moments for my children, for me and for my husband. And in looking back at our travel over the last year, I am convinced we are on the right path. We have shared some truly amazing, once-in-a-lifetime moments that I know I — and I hope my kids — will remember for the rest of their lives.
Here are some of them:
- Seeing dolphin swim right next to us on a jet ski tour of the Ten Thousands Islands along the Paradise Coast of Florida in March
- Walking right up to sea lions in La Jolla, California, listening to their crazy grunting and watching them literally crawl and roll all over each other
- Exploring San Diego via a rental boat in San Diego Bay
- Kayaking by sea caves in the ocean off La Jolla
- Seeing the skyline of New York City and the Statue of Liberty — closer than you’ll ever see it from the Staten Island Ferry — from on board the Spirit of New York
- Enjoying our kids watching their first Broadway show, “School of Rock“
- Explaining September 11 to our children as we explored the amazing 9/11 Museum
- Listening to Eddie Vedder sing under the stars surrounded by mountains at The RIDE festival in Telluride
- Standing at the top of Pike’s Peak in Colorado Springs
- Hiking down into the Black Canyon of the Gunnison, second only in size to the Grand Canyon, in Colorado
- Quietly watching a mule deer cross our path on a hike by the Maroon Bells in Aspen
These moments are forever cemented in my brain and are worth any hassle or planning or work crunches that came later! So much of these moments were afforded by figuring out how to use Southwest’s Rapid Rewards system to allow my family to fly for less than $100 total to each destination. Incredible and something everyone should know about so they, too, can have these moments!!
What are your travel moments from the last year? Please share!
7 Ways to Earn Miles From Home
Enter your email to get a free PDF that shows you 7 easy things you can do to collect miles from HOME for FUTURE travel! You'll also be added to Go to Travel Gal's weekly email newsletter list.