Are you ready to start traveling for free or very cheaply? I thought so! Read on!
First, I want to share with you my mission statement for this blog:
To help as many people as possible experience the unbelievable joy of travel by developing and teaching simple ways to significantly reduce or eliminate the cost of travel.
I’m a longtime travel writer living just outside Indianapolis, Indiana, who discovered that I could travel free by collecting miles and points in 2015 (read more about me). A lover of couponing, I was amazed that I could apply the same strategies to travel and enable my family to get a lot more than 10 boxes of cereal. Instead, we could literally fly and do amazing things around the world for very little cost.
And it did not depend on our financial situation. Whether my business income was up or down, whether we were saving for kids to go to college or paying an unexpected medical expense, with miles and points saved up, we could always travel. What a gift.
After I earned the Southwest Companion Pass in 2015, which allowed one member of my family to fly free with me through 2016, I was hooked!
That first year, we flew to six destinations for less than $100 per flight for all four of us! We now fly at least six times, if not more, each year, almost exclusively using miles and points for our flights.
Read my post below to find out how life-changing this has been for my family…
[How the Southwest Companion Pass Changed My Life]
I’m here to open the world to you, your family, your friends, your significant other — whoever! — so that if financial constraints are keeping you from traveling, they will NO MORE!
I want you to see and explore God’s amazing creation from the gorgeous Rocky mountains to the Caribbean blue seas to the ancient structures in Europe to the dramatic scenery that makes up our nation’s National Parks. It is a joy like no other…
My Approach to Miles and Points
Be forewarned, I don’t advocate advanced travel hacking, flying just to earn points or gathering gobs of points to fly first class on a plane with beds and showers to India.
There is no advanced math required and no travel hacking jargon dictionary needed to follow my techniques and suggestions. You won’t be checking for award availability on flights every 10 minutes.
I like to KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID, aka KISS. I will show you the easiest and simplest ways of traveling nearly free and how to bring your family along WITH you, including my favorite and possibly the best travel deal going: the Southwest Companion Pass.
Please Support Go to Travel Gal
This blog depends on affiliate income to keep on truckin’ :). To help support Go to Travel Gal and our free content, please consider using the Travel Credit Cards link in the main menu above (shown in the image below) or the credit cards links within ANY posts to apply for any and all credit cards.
We receive a commission at no cost to you to support our free content. You never have to use these links, but we are so grateful if you do.
What Should You Do Next?
First, let’s make sure you’re signed up to get Go to Travel Gal emails. We send out a weekly email newsletter with tips on how to travel for less, as well as flying Southwest Airlines and giving you affordable destination ideas.
Make sure you’re subscribed below:
If you want to take your travel savings to the NEXT level, join my premium membership program, Go to Travel Gal ALL ACCESS.
The program opens the last week of each month for access to the following month’s content.
Go to Travel Gal ALL ACCESS grants both new and seasoned travelers EXCLUSIVE access to:
- Real-time alerts on your phone and in email about great travel deals, especially on Southwest, including sale alerts, flight release alerts and other timely information to save or earn miles and points.
- Insider access to me through regular LIVE video Q&As, workshops and webinars, as well as our online Ask-a-Question feature.
- A podcast all about saving on travel that also provides audio versions of our videos ONLY for subscribers.
- Tons of new videos every month on everything from the Southwest Companion Pass and collecting miles and points to our favorite affordable destinations and maximizing travel credit cards.
- LIVE webinars and workshops like Getting Started With Miles & Points workshops for newbies to Southwest Companion Pass webinars, where I’ll answer all your questions about my favorite way to save on travel!
- ALL Go to Travel Gal digital courses on how to fly free, including “Southwest Companion Pass for Beginners.”
- LIVE video Q&As with travel experts on topics like National Parks, travel credit cards, hotel points, Disney hacks, Hawaii travel, family travel, picking your next destination and more.
- Go to Travel Gal team roundtables where you can join our team’s informal video chats on hot travel topics like COVID-19.
- A “vault” of travel tools we’ve designed to make travel even simpler like packing lists, check-in checklists, frequent flyer cheat sheets, spreadsheets for organizing credit cards and loyalty programs and lots more.
- Inspiration for where to travel next in our destination podcasts and videos and through our detailed destination itineraries available for download.
- A private community forum of travel fanatics just like you where you can ask questions, offer tips or simply engage others who also love to travel.
- The latest curated travel headlines available inside the community forum.
[GET MORE INFORMATION ABOUT ALL ACCESS]
You may also want to follow us on:
- Facebook – We share timely news about airlines, destinations and more!
- Twitter – We often retweet great fare prices around the world
- Instagram – Follow my family’s travels
- Pinterest – Share our posts with other pinners and save to read later
- YouTube – Videos from our travels
Join the private Go to Travel Gal Facebook group for sharing any cheap Southwest fares you find, as well as other Southwest tips and news.
Note: You WILL need to be subscribed to the Go to Travel Gal email list to join this group. Please include the subscribed email when you request to join the group or otherwise give us an email and permission to add you to the email list. Otherwise, we cannot approve you for the group.
To join, click below and then Request to Join:
[Cheap Southwest Fares Facebook Group]
Here are some great beginner posts to help you get started. We recommend beginning with Introduction to Miles and Points.
- Introduction to Miles and Points
- Go to Travel Gal’s Travel Credit Card Plan: Which Cards in What Order
- Credit Doesn’t Have to Be a FOUR Letter Word!
- How to Quickly Improve Your Credit Score to Apply for Travel Credit Cards
- Everything You Need to Know to Earn the Southwest Companion Pass
- How to Fly a Family of Four to Europe on Miles
Welcome to Go to Travel Gal! Now, let’s get started traveling free…