One of the best uses of hotel loyalty points, in my opinion, is to redeem them for once-in-a-lifetime experiences offered by programs like Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG), Starwood Hotels’ loyalty program.
You can easily earn a bank of points by signing up for both the personal and business Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Cards from American Express. While the bonus Starpoints offered currently for these cards are not as good as they were in March and April, you can still earn 25,000 Starpoints after meeting a minumum spend of $3000 on the personal card and $5000 on the business card within three months.
The annual fees for both are waived for the first year. Note: You can only receive the Starwood credit card bonuses ONE TIME.
Note: To apply for the credit cards included in this post and to help support Go to Travel Gal at NO COST to you, please click on TRAVEL CREDIT CARDS on the main menu above or the purple buttons within the post. This allows me to earn a commission so that I may pay the blogging bills 😉 and bring you great information on how to travel nearly free — at no cost. I sincerely appreciate you taking this step!
That would net you 58,000 Starpoints after you earn 1 point per dollar spent to reach the minimum spend that you could use on the below amazing experiences from SPG, experiences you will likely remember for the rest of your life!
We used these cards to score second row seats at “School of Rock on Broadway” and attend a Chicago Cubs game at Wrigley Field in their luxury suite (the year they won the World Series no less) last year. Outstanding!
Bidding Versus Purchasing and Other SPG Moments Tips
SPG Moments are set up as either an auction or a Buy Now option. I prefer the Buy Now option so that I know for sure I have the experience booked, but many of the most popular and more unique Moments are set up as an auction. You simply log into your SPG account and enter your bid on the Moment link below and then pray, pray, pray ;-).
Also note that most packages are for two people. For some Moments, there are multiple packages available for each. So, you can book 2 packages if you want 4 people to attend, for example. They usually limit you to a max of 2 packages per person. That is what we did for the Cubs game Luxury Suite. If multiple people in your family have SPG accounts, you could try to have each person purchase up to 2 packages if you need them and they are available.
Some of the Newest — and Coolest — SPG Moments
Go Backstage on Broadway at “The Lion King,” “Miss Saigon” and “On Your Feet!”
There are currently several SPG Moments that let you not only see a Broadway show in New York City, but that give you exclusive backstage experiences. Each package has 2 tickets and includes behind-the-scenes opportunities like going backstage to mingle with the show’s performers in “On Your Feet!,” take a backstage tour at “The Lion King” and meet a cast member in “Miss Saigon.”
- “On Your Feet!” (the story of Emilio and Gloria Estefan) May 19 – Current bid 25,500, Bid by May 12, 2017
- “Miss Saigon” May 26 – Current bid 20,500, Bid by May 19, 2017
- “The Lion King” June 2 – Current bid 60,500, Bid by May 26, 2017
Watch Jimmy Kimmel Live! and Hang Out in the Green Room
- Multiple packages available May 2-30, 2017
- 25,000 Starpoints for 2
Head to Los Angeles and attend a live taping of Jimmy Kimmel Live! Before the show, you get to enjoy the Green Room and complimentary snacks, beer and wine. Must be 21 to attend.
Incredible Chicago Cubs Experiences
- Kids Take the Field Alongside the Cubbies, June 11, 35,000 Starpoints for 2 infield seats and 1 opportunity for a 7- to 13-year-old to take the field. SPG lets a child run onto the field next one of the starting 8 players before the first pitch and get a commemorative photo. We saw this when we went to the Cubs game through SPG and stayed in their luxury suite. As I recall, each child stood next to one player, who then gave them an autographed ball. Too cool!! It also comes with 2 field box infield seats. Only 1 package is currently available.
- Kids Announce “Play Ball” Before a Game at Wrigley Field, June 20, Current Bid 23,500, Bid by May 1, 2017 – This package lets 1 child, aged 6 to 12, announce the official “Play Ball” on the field and using the mic with a commemorative photo. Again, won’t your child remember this for the rest of their life? “Holy cow!,” as Harry Caray would say! This package also comes with 2 field box infield seats. Only 1 package available.
- Kids Deliver the Line-Up Card to a Cubs Coach, June 10, Current Bid 20,500, Bid by April 26, 2017 – Yet another once-in-a-lifetime event offered by SPG Moments … this time a child, aged 6 to 12, gets to act as honorary team manager, taking the field and presenting the line-up card to one of the Cubs coaches before the start of game. You and your child will also get a commemorative photo on the field. The package also includes 2 field box infield tickets.
- Chicago Cubs Luxury Suite Tickets, Various packages of 2 tickets available through May and June, 25,000-40,000 Starpoints each – Attend a Chicago Cubs game in the SPG Luxury Suite where you get access to free food and drink (including alcohol). Read my full review of our family’s experience in the SPG Luxury Suite. The suite offers covered seats behind home plate with a fantastic view! Get more details about how we used SPG Starpoints for 4 of us to attend the game.
- Chicago Cubs Box Seats, Various packages of 2 tickets available May and June, 10,000-20,000 Starpoints each – These packages require less points and get you excellent seats at Wrigley Field. While they are not covered (you may be a touch hot in Chicago in June!), they are right behind home plate. Some of the best seats in the stadium! Purchase multiple packages if you have more than 2 people who want to attend.
See the Zac Brown Band in Atlanta or New Jersey
SPG promises some of the best seats in the house at the Zac Brown Band concerts in Alpharetta, Georgia, and Camden, New Jersey, this spring and summer.
- Atlanta, May 12, (5 packages of 2 tickets available) – Lowest high bid is 12,500 Starpoints, Bid by May 1, 2017
- Camden, New Jersey, July 15 (5 packages of 2 tickets available) – Lowest high bid is 11,900 Starpoints, Bid by July 8, 2017
Are any of these SPG Moments catching your eye?
- 9 Ways to Use the SPG AMEX Card Bonus for Amazing SPG Moments
- How I Booked “School of Rock” on Broadway for Cheap with SPG Points
- How ONE Card Can Net You MLB, Broadway or Amy Shumer Tickets
- How I Booked Luxury Suite Seats to a Chicago Cubs Game FREE with SPG Points
- How to Book a Broadway Ticket with SPG Points
- Review of SPG Rewards Luxury Suite at Wrigley Field FREE with Starpoints
Join the Free Flight Challenge
Earn a FREE round trip flight in the U.S. without signing up for a credit card OR stepping foot on a plane!