When will Southwest release November and December 2020 flights?
The airline has currently opened the Southwest Flight Schedule for booking through October 30, 2020.
The next release of flights through January 4, 2021 is currently scheduled for April 23, 2020. This is already a change from the initially announced date of June 3.
My best suggestion is to stay tuned to Go to Travel Gal for further changes to these dates since they tend to change frequently. When Southwest released this last round a couple hours later than scheduled, Go to Travel Gal readers were the FIRST to know!
I’m sure all the continual changes have to do with the grounding of the MAX 8 planes and now the coronavirus.
Southwest will no longer confirm what TIME on the release date they will release flights, though with the last few releases of flights, release times have ranged between 7 a.m. to 9:35 a.m. CT.
Note: This date often changes, as we’ve already seen, so keep checking back for updates. Be sure to subscribe to GotoTravelGal.com below to get immediate updates to your inbox about releases or changes (our readers were some of the first to know about the $49 Southwest Hawaii flights, which sold out in a matter of hours!).
Want to stay up to date on all things Southwest? Subscribe for up-to-the-minute news.
When you get on to book flights on the release date, if you don’t see flights on your mobile device, try your desktop or vice versa, as sometimes they are available on one platform first. I’ve most recently seen them first on desktop in Southwest’s Low Fare Calendar.
Be sure to check out the best Southwest fares from 30+ cities whenever there is a Southwest sale, which I share as soon as they are posted and offer the best deals I can find for your review, also via email.
Southwest Hawaii Flights
Southwest is officially flying to Hawaii!
Currently, you can fly direct to Oahu, Maui or the big island of Hawaii via Oakland, Sacramento (only available to Oahu and Maui) or San Jose airports in the San Francisco area.
Soon, you’ll also be able to reach Hawaii from San Diego. Flights to Oahu from San Diego begin April 20, 2020 and flights to Maui begin on April 14, 2020
Here’s everything you need to know about Southwest Hawaii flights.
Earning the Southwest Companion Pass
If you’d like to bring someone free with you on your fall Southwest flights, I highly recommend earning the Southwest Companion Pass, which is good for up to two years.
Once you accrue 125,000 points, you’ll have a pass where one person can always fly free with you (aside from the $5.60 mandatory government security fee per way).
You simply need to apply for two Southwest credit cards when their bonuses are at least 40,000 points after meeting the minimum spend. If you qualify for one personal and one business card or two business cards, you can INSTANTLY have, or be very close to having, a Companion Pass as soon as your points credit!
And you really only need any sort of side hustle to qualify for the business card even if it’s done through your social security number.
The Southwest Companion Pass lasts from the time you earn it until the end of the FOLLOWING year, but all qualifying points must be collected in one calendar year: January 1-December 31.
Want points to book free flights on Southwest?
Check out these cards:
- Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus Visa card (Personal: 40,000 points after $1,000 minimum spend!)
- Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier card (Personal: 40,000 points after $1,000 minimum spend!)
- Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Priority card (Personal: 40,000 points after $1,000 minimum spend!)
- Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Performance Business card (Up to 100,000-points; highest offer currently available on ANY Southwest card!)
- Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Business card (60,000-point bonus)
- My FAVORITE travel credit card Chase Sapphire Preferred (60,000-point bonus), whose points can be instantly transferred to Southwest for free flights (though they DO NOT qualify for the Companion Pass). Read my full review of this card.
Points earned on Southwest cards DO qualify for the 125,000 points you need to earn the Southwest Companion Pass, so one person can fly free with you for up to two years.
Keep in mind you can only hold ONE personal card at a time, though you can hold two business cards.
Where do you hope to travel next? Our family would highly recommend checking out San Diego, Marco Island, Pigeon Forge or some of our country’s amazing National Parks.
Here are our posts on these fabulous destinations:
- 35 Suntastic Activities in San Diego
- Top 20 Things to Do in Pigeon Forge, TN
- Your Marco Island Beach Vacation Checklist
- Ultimate Guides to US National Parks: Rocky Mountain, Yellowstone and Grand Tetons
- Check out ALL of our Destination posts