Now that the amazing offer to earn a Southwest Companion Pass with just one card sign-up and the completion of a minimum spend, the Southwest personal credit cards have all returned back to their 40,000-point offers after a $1,000 minimum spend in 3 months.
These are still good offers if you want to earn a FULL Southwest Companion Pass that is good from the time you earn it until the END of 2020.
How to Earn the Southwest Companion Pass With the Current Offers
To earn the Southwest Companion Pass, which lets one person fly free with you for the life of the pass, you’ll need to collect 110,000 qualifying Southwest points within ONE calendar year (that’s January 1 – December 31).
So all 110,000 points need to be in by year’s end, but of course, if you can earn them more quickly, you can earn the pass sooner, so it lasts longer :).
The simplest way to earn a Southwest Companion Pass is to:
1. Sign up for 1 Southwest personal card and earn 41,000 points
Choose any of the three Southwest personal cards (their differences are outlined here).
–> APPLY for SOUTHWEST PREMIER HERE ($99 annual fee; this is a referral link)
For other options, use the TRAVEL CREDIT CARDS link in the main menu of GotoTravelGal.com shown below.
Meet the $1,000 minimum spend within 3 months and earn 40,000 points + 1,000 points for completing the minimum spend (1 point per $1 earned).
Note: You can not earn the bonus on a Southwest personal card if you currently hold another Southwest personal card OR if you’ve earned a bonus on ANY Southwest personal card in the last 24 months. Keeping reading…
If the latter is not true, then simply close your current card and open a new one. Some readers are reporting that Chase is telling them that 30 days must pass between closing one card and opening a new one, though other readers have had no trouble closing one card and opening another as close as 3-4 days later.
If you are declined for this reason (it will say you already have a personal card as the reaso), call the Chase Reconsideration Line and insist this is not the case and that you have friends who have done this with no problem. This should NOT be a reason to decline you.
One reader who experienced this went to a Chase Bank branch and they got him approved :).
2. Sign up for 1 business Southwest card
Next, sign up for 1 Southwest business card (IF you have not earned a bonus on a Southwest business card in the last 24 months and don’t currently hold one). There is only one option: Premier.
Earn 60,000 points after a $4,000 minimum spend in 3 months. That will net you a total 64,000 points (60,000 bonus points + 1 point per $1 for meeting the $4,000 minimum spend).
Now you have 41,000 + 64,000 = 105,000 points
3. Choose one of several options to earn your remaining 5,000 points or combine multiple options
- Refer someone to your card and earn 10,000 points per referral. Find your referral link here. (Note: You may not have a referral link for ALL cards).
- Book a hotel through SouthwestHotels.com and earn up to 10,000 points per night.
- Subscribe to Motley Fool for $99 through the Rapid Rewards Shopping Portal and earn up to 5,400 points.
- Buy something you’ll be needing anyway through the Rapid Rewards Shopping Portal and earn between .5 and 20 points per $1 spent. I like the magazine subscription options, several of which earn 15-20 points per $1, for a quick points earn.
- Continue spending another $5,000 (on everyday expenses you have money in the bank to pay off immediately) on one of the cards to earn an additional 1 point per $1.
- Sign up for Rapid Rewards Dining and earn the bonus.
And there’s more, but those are some good options.
Bada bing, bada boom, Southwest Companion Pass in hand + 110,000 Southwest points you can use ANYTIME to book free flights.
Remember, you won’t need to use ANY points or cash for your Companion, so book everyone else using your 110,000 points and then add your Companion for no additional cost (aside from mandatory security fees of $5.60 per way in the US).
To apply for these the Southwest Rapid Rewards Personal Premier card, please use my Southwest referral link below, which allows me to earn referral points, but allots you the same offer. Thank you!!
10 Things You Can Do to Start Flying Free TODAY!
Enter your email to get a free PDF that shows you 10 easy things you can do to begin your journey toward flying free RIGHT NOW! You'll also be added to Go to Travel Gal's weekly email newsletter list.