Do you have a pet that you want to travel with you on Southwest? While I can’t guarantee free passage, like humans get with Rapid Rewards points and the Southwest Companion Pass, many pets CAN travel with you on Southwest for a fee.
Southwest says small vaccinated dogs and cats are allowed to fly with you on domestic flights only in a carrier that fits under the seat in front of you. The fee is $95 per pet and you’re allowed only one pet carrier per person, though the carrier can have two dogs or cats (must be the same species).
To book your pet:
- Call 1-800-I-FLY-SWA (1-800-435-9792) in advance of your flight
- Bring your pet to the airport in an approved carrier. See requirements or buy a Southwest branded pet carrier!
- Check the pet in at the ticket counter and pay the nonrefundable pet fee.
- Go through security where the pet carrier will be X-rayed and may be searched.
- Pets must remain in the carrier both on and off the plane.
Also note, pets are not allowed to be flown as checked baggage on Southwest.
We will not be bringing our dog on our travels, but let me know about your experience if you do.
Want to Fly FREE to Hawaii?
Enter your email below to subscribe to the Fly Free to Hawaii FREE email course. You'll also be added to Go to Travel Gal's weekly email newsletter list.