Current American Reduced Mileage Awards Destinations
A great way to make American miles stretch A LOT further is to take advantage of American’s Reduced Mileage Awards program, which grants the airline’s credit card holders a set mileage discount to certain destinations that rotate each month.
The Reduced Mileage Awards destinations are now available through November 2018 with some great spots like Vail, Aspen and Durango, Colorado; West Palm Beach, Florida; gorgeous Santa Barbara; and Charleston, Hilton Head Island and Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.
The credit card you hold determines your Reduced Mileage Awards discount, and you can see the complete list of credit cards and discounts on my post on how to stretch American miles.
You get up to a 7,500-mile discount per person round-trip. For destinations 500 miles or greater apart, you would ordinarily pay 25,000 miles per person roundtrip. That really helps cut down on the miles you need! Plus, certain American cards give you 10% of redeemed miles back in your loyalty account after your trip for even more savings.
To apply for any of the credit cards in this post, please start at the TRAVEL CREDIT CARDS link in the main menu above. This allows me to earn a commission — at no cost to you — to help pay the blogging bills and continue to bring you great information free! Thank you!
My husband and I used a bank of 50,000 miles we earned after signing up for one American credit card to fly to Monterey, California, just south of San Francisco and right next to charming Carmel-by-the-Sea to enjoy a romantic getaway. See more of my favorite California beach towns.
There are usually some pretty good destinations in the mix, though they tend to be areas with smaller airports. Monterey seemed to only have about four gates!
American’s Reduced Mileage Awards Destinations
Here are some destinations currently on American’s Reduced Mileage Awards list (now posted through November 2018) with the months they are available for booking travel:
- Aspen, Colorado – September, October 2018 (be forewarned: there can be SNOW in Aspen in October!!)
- Bangor, Maine – September 2018
- Charleston, South Carolina – September 2018 (beautiful month to see Charleston!)
- Durango, Colorado – November 2018 (on our bucket list :))
- Hilton Head Island, South Carolina – August-November 2018 (great time of year to visit Hilton Head)
- Houston, Texas (Hobby & Intercontinental) – September 2018
- Jackson Hole, Wyoming – October 2018
- Key West, Florida – September 2018
- Lexington, Kentucky (my hometown) – August-September 2018
- Long Beach, California – September 2018
- Myrtle Beach, South Carolina – September 2018
- Nantucket, Massachusetts – September 2018
- Pensacola, Florida – September 2018
- Santa Barbara, California – August-November 2018 (one of my favorite places!)
- Santa Rosa, California – August-November 2018 (in the heart of California Wine Country)
- Savannah, Georgia – August-September 2018
- Tallahassee, Florida – August-October 2018
- Traverse City, Michigan – September 2018
- Vail, Colorado (much closer than flying to Denver!) – September 2018 (September is an AWESOME month to visit Vail, as the aspens turn gold!)
- West Palm Beach, Florida – August 2018
Check out the full list of destinations.
For complete details on booking American’s Reduced Mileage Awards, read my post on how to stretch American miles.
Want to learn more about how to fly free on American using points? Get on the wait list for my online Frugal Flyer course, opening again in early 2019!
Want to Fly FREE to Hawaii?
Enter your email below to subscribe to the Fly Free to Hawaii FREE email course. You'll also be added to Go to Travel Gal's weekly email newsletter list.