Current American Reduced Mileage Awards Destinations
A great way to make American miles stretch A LOT further is to take advantage of American’s Reduced Mileage Awards program, which grants the airline’s credit card holders a set mileage discount to certain destinations that rotate each month.
The Reduced Mileage Awards destinations are now available through July 2018 with some great spots like Vail, Colorado; Santa Rosa in the heart of California Wine Country; my hometown of Lexington, Kentucky; and gorgeous Santa Barbara.
The credit card you hold determines your Reduced Mileage Awards discount, and you can see the complete list of credit cards and discounts on my post on how to stretch American miles.
You get up to a 7,500-mile discount per person round-trip. For destinations 500 miles or greater apart, you would ordinarily pay 25,000 miles per person roundtrip. That really helps cut down on the miles you need! Plus, certain American cards give you 10% of redeemed miles back in your loyalty account after your trip for even more savings.
To apply for any of the credit cards in this post, please start at the TRAVEL CREDIT CARDS link in the main menu above. This allows me to earn a commission — at no cost to you — to help pay the blogging bills and continue to bring you great information free! Thank you!
My husband and I used a bank of 50,000 miles we earned after signing up for one American credit card to fly to Monterey, California, just south of San Francisco and right next to charming Carmel-by-the-Sea to enjoy a romantic getaway. See more of my favorite California beach towns.
There are usually some pretty good destinations in the mix, though they tend to be areas with smaller airports. Monterey seemed to only have about four gates!
American’s Reduced Mileage Awards Destinations
Here are some destinations currently on American’s Reduced Mileage Awards list (now posted through July 2018) with the months they are available for booking travel:
- Aspen, Colorado – April 2018
- Atlanta – April-May 2018
- Bangor, Maine – May-June 2018
- Burbank, California – April-July 2018
- Charleston, South Carolina – July 2018 (be forewarned: It’s very hot in Charleston in July!!)
- Colorado Springs, Colorado – April 2018
- Denver, Colorado – April, May 2018
- Durango, Colorado (always wanted to go here!) – April-May 2018
- Eugene, Oregon – April-July 2018
- Fort Lauderdale, Florida – February 2018
- Fort Myers, Florida – April-July 2018
- Hilton Head Island, South Carolina – May-July 2018 (also very hot here in these months)
- Indianapolis, Indiana (come visit me!) – April-May (Indy 500 month!) 2018
- Lexington, Kentucky – May-July 2018
- Long Beach, California – April-June 2018
- Manchester, New Hampshire – June-July 2018
- Monterey, California – April 2018, June-July 2018 (This is where we traveled using our American miles)
- Montrose, Colorado (This is how you get to Telluride, one of my favorite places on earth!!) – April-July 2018
- Nantucket, Massachusetts – June 2018
- New Orleans – June, July 2018 (very hot!!)
- Oakland, California (just outside San Francisco, also a great way to get to Wine Country) – June-July 2018 (these are cooler months in the San Francisco area, though may be a bit foggy and overcast)
- Orange County, California – April, May 2018
- Palm Springs, California – May-July 2018
- Salt Lake City – April, May 2018
- San Francisco, California – April 2018
- Santa Barbara, California – May-July 2018
- Santa Rosa, California (This is right in the heart of California Wine Country!) – April-July 2018 (see weather tips next to Oakland above)
- Savannah, Georgia – July 2018 (hot and muggy!)
- Steamboat Springs, Colorado – April 2018
- Tampa, Florida – April-July 2018 (hot!)
- Vail, Colorado (much closer than flying to Denver!) – April, June, July 2018 (June and July are great months to visit this area for outdoor adventure, it’s cool enough you don’t need air conditioning)
- West Palm Beach, Florida – April-July 2018
Check out the full list of destinations.
For complete details on booking American’s Reduced Mileage Awards, read my post on how to stretch American miles.
Want to learn more about how to fly free on American using points? Enroll in my online Frugal Flyer course!
Want to Fly FREE to Hawaii?
Enter your email below to subscribe to the Fly Free to Hawaii FREE email course. You'll also be added to Go to Travel Gal's weekly email newsletter list.