Fall is a wonderful season to visit wine country. Not only is it the grape harvest, but you can see the grape vines change to bright shades of yellow, orange and red — fall foliage unique to Sonoma County. There are also plenty of other trees that change color as well, including Crepe Myrtle, live Oak and maple trees.
Here are four fun outdoor activities to enjoy in Sonoma wine country this fall while you gaze on the beautiful fall foliage:
- Biking – Is there a better way to see wine country than by bike? I don’t think so! Sure, you can drive the vineyards and look at the scenery out your car window, but I, for one, would rather take in the view in the open air. Sonoma on a Bike is a new Sonoma bike tour company that offers the most luxurious ride. You’ll enjoy picturesque scenery, locally-sourced gourmet meals at the area’s best restaurants and wine with all meals. All fees are included, so all you have to do is show up and pedal!
- Kayaking – Another way to see the wineries and landscape in the open air — and get in a great workout — is on the water! Paddle down the Russian River with Getaway Adventures and float by vineyards and plenty of wildlife, including Snowy Egrets, Blue Herons, turtles and even otters. You’ll hit some Class 1 rapids, plus have time for a picnic lunch along the beach.
- Hiking – Sonoma County is filled with many beautiful areas to hike, including redwood forests, coastal trails and parks with valley views. Head out on your own or hop on a Sonoma hiking tour with Getaway Adventures, which offers nine different options through Sonoma or Napa Valley + a picnic lunch.
- View wildlife – It’s not Africa but you CAN take an open-air safari through a 400-acre wildlife preserve to see giraffes, lemurs, cheetahs, buffalo, zebras and wildebeests at the Safari West Wildlife Preserve & African Tent Camp. Getaway Adventures even offers a “Bike ‘N Safari,” which combines a bike tour of area wineries with a jeep tour of the preserve.
- 3 Things to do in California Wine Country Besides Drink Wine
- 21 Stunning Things to Do in Santa Barbara
- 9 Fabulously “Golden” Things to Do in California
- Southern California Vacation: 8 Awesome Things to Do for Couples
- Southern California CityPASS: A Review
- 6 Most Romantic Summer Getaways in California
- California Movie House Tour: Workaholics House & More
- 7 California Beach Towns to Visit This Winter
7 Ways to Earn Miles From Home
Enter your email to get a free PDF that shows you 7 easy things you can do to collect miles from HOME for FUTURE travel! You'll also be added to Go to Travel Gal's weekly email newsletter list.