I blog all the time about the benefits of the Southwest Companion Pass and show you how easy it is to earn in my free guide “The Step-by-Step Guide to Earning Your Southwest Companion Pass and Flying Free Around the U.S.” but I wanted to spend some time going over exactly what the Companion Pass is and why you need to know about it!
What is the Southwest Companion Pass?
The Southwest Companion Pass is a status achieved with Southwest Airlines after accumulating 110,000 Rapid Rewards points (their frequent flyer program), which allows you to bring one person free with you on ANY Southwest flight from the time the pass is earned until the end of the following year.
It has enabled my family of four to travel to SIX destinations for less than $100 per flight over just one year. It has truly changed our life and I believe everyone needs to know about this amazing deal!
Let’s break that down:
- You need to earn 110,000 Rapid Rewards points by signing up for two Southwest credit cards (find out how in my free guide). Here are the cards to choose from:
- One person can fly FREE with you for up to TWO years.
- The pass is good from the time you earn it until the end of the following year, so the earlier in a calendar year you can earn the pass, the longer you will be able to use it.
- You can change Companions up to three times after initially choosing your Companion, but you cannot change Companions until the current Companion has completed all booked flights.
- You can add a Companion to any flight paid with either money OR points. You will add them AFTER you book a flight.
Why do you need the Southwest Companion Pass?
- It’s super easy to earn!
- It will save you the cost of flying one person for up to TWO years.
- By the time you earn the pass, you will have 110,000 Rapid Rewards points to spend on FREE flights for you and other members of your family. That’s even MORE savings!
- That equals FREE travel as far as you can spread those points. My free guide will help you stretch those points as far as possible.
Here are some more blog posts to get you started:
- Southwest Credit Cards with 50,000-Point Bonuses
- 11 Ways to Meet the Minimum Spend on Your Southwest Credit Card
- 4 Easy Ways to Earn Rapid Rewards Points
- 6 Reasons to Start Earning Your Companion Pass NOW
You’ll also want to check out the Southwest Companion Pass page of the blog with the most popular and the latest posts on the topic.
Make sure you subscribe to the Go to Travel Gal blog below to get daily updates of how to earn points toward your Companion Pass and for free flights, learn when Southwest is having a sale to maximize your points and other tips on your journey to free travel.
Any questions? 🙂