I blog all the time about the benefits of the Southwest Companion Pass and show you how easy it is to earn in my free guide “The Step-by-Step Guide to Earning Your Southwest Companion Pass and Flying Free Around the U.S.” but I wanted to spend some time going over exactly what is the Southwest Companion Pass and explain why you need to know about it!
What Is the Southwest Companion Pass?
The Southwest Companion Pass is a status achieved with Southwest Airlines after accumulating 110,000 Rapid Rewards points (their frequent flyer program), which allows you to bring one person free with you on ANY Southwest flight from the time the pass is earned until the end of the following year.
It has enabled my family of four to travel to SIX destinations for less than $100 per flight over just one year. It has truly changed our life, and I believe everyone needs to know about this amazing deal!
Let’s break that down:
- You need to earn 110,000 Southwest points by signing up for two Southwest credit cards (find out how in my free guide). Here are the cards to choose from:
- Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier (personal)
- Southwest Rapid Rewards Business Premier
- Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus (personal)
Note: To apply for any credit cards included in this post and to help support Go to Travel Gal at NO COST to you, please click TRAVEL CREDIT CARDS on the main menu above. This allows me to earn a commission and pay the blogging bills :), so that I may continue to bring you great information on how to travel nearly free — at no cost. I sincerely appreciate you taking this step!
- One person can fly FREE with you for up to TWO years.
- The pass is good from the time you earn it until the end of the following year, so the earlier in a calendar year you can earn the pass, the longer you will be able to use it.
- You can change Companions (the person flying free with you) up to three times after initially choosing your Companion, but you cannot change Companion until the current Companion has completed all booked flights. However, you can still book YOUR flight and then ADD the new Companion to the ticket after all flights with the old Dompanion are completed.
- You can add a Companion to any flight paid with either money OR points. You will add them AFTER you book a flight anytime up until 36 hours ahead of the departure time.
Why Do You Need the Southwest Companion Pass?
- It’s super easy to earn! See how you can do it in just TWO steps and in less than THREE months.
- It will save you the cost of flying one person for up to TWO years.
- By the time you earn the pass, you will have 110,000 Rapid Rewards points to spend on FREE flights for you and other members of your family. That’s even MORE savings!
- That equals FREE travel as far as you can stretch those points. My free guide will help you stretch those points as far as possible.
Here are some more blog posts to get you started:
- Southwest Credit Cards with 50,000-Point Bonuses
- 11 Ways to Meet the Minimum Spend on Your Southwest Credit Card
- 4 Easy Ways to Earn Rapid Rewards Points
- 6 Reasons to Start Earning Your Companion Pass NOW
- Top 10 Most Frequently Asked Questions About the Southwest Companion Pass
- How the Southwest Companion Pass Changed My Life
You’ll also want to check out the Southwest Companion Pass page of the blog with the most popular and the latest posts on the topic.
Make sure you subscribe to Go to Travel Gal below to get daily updates of how to earn points toward your Companion Pass and for free flights, learn when Southwest is having a sale to maximize your points and other tips on your journey to free travel.
Any questions? 🙂
Join the Free Flight Challenge
Earn a FREE round trip flight in the U.S. without signing up for a credit card OR stepping foot on a plane!