Southwest Airlines offers three credit cards for you to choose from to earn Southwest points, which you can use for FREE travel on the airline. You can choose from two Southwest credit cards for personal use and one Southwest business credit card.
Each currently offers a 50,000- to 60,000-point bonus after you meet the minimum required spend within three months. If you apply for two cards and choose one with a 50,000-point bonus and one with a 60,000-point bonus, you will immediately have earned enough points for the coveted Southwest Companion Pass. The Southwest Companion Pass allows one person to fly free with you for up to two years!
Download my free guide to learn how easy it is to earn the pass and fly nearly free around the U.S.!
Note: To apply for the credit cards included in this post, please start at the TRAVEL CREDIT CARDS link in the Go to Travel Gal main menu above. This allows me to earn a commission — at no cost to you — help pay the blogging bills :), so I can continue to bring you great information totally free. I sincerely appreciate you taking this step!
Southwest Credit Cards
- Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Credit Card
- Earn 50,000 Southwest points after $2000 minimum spend within 3 months
- $99 annual fee is applied to your first statement, so factor that into your cost of flying free
- Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus Credit Card
- 50,000 Southwest points after $2000 minimum spend in 3 months
- $69 annual fee applied to first statement
- Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Business Card
- 60,000 Southwest points after $3000 minimum spend in 3 months (BEST OFFER EVER)
- $99 annual fee applied to first statement, same as above
- You may be approved for a business card so long as you receive a 1099 for any type of side income (read more in my free ebook)
- Chase Sapphire Preferred
- This is a great third card to hold after applying for the Southwest cards. It earns Chase Ultimate Rewards points, which may be transferred to Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards, as well as other airline and hotel loyalty programs for free travel
- Earn 50,000 Chase Ultimate Rewards Points after $4000 minimum spend within 3 months
- Points do NOT count toward the Southwest Companion Pass, only toward free flights
Sign up for two of these cards, meet the minimum spend and you will have acquired 104,000-115,000 Southwest points (50,000 + 50,000/60,000 + 2000/3000 points for the minimum spend).
If you chose two cards that did not get you to the 110,000 points needed to earn the Southwest Companion Pass, continue to earn the rest through everyday spending on the cards, signing up for Rapid Rewards Dining and using the Southwest Rapid Rewards Shopping portal.
Don’t forget to sign up for my blog email below where I’ll keep you updated on the latest and easiest ways to earn Rapid Rewards points like 650 points for $5.99 magazine subscriptions! And be sure to download my free ebook, “The Step-by-Step Guide to Earning the Southwest Companion Pass,” above.