Southwest Airlines is hands down my favorite airline. I have had bad experiences on both budget carriers (Frontier, I’m talking to you!) and other major airlines. I really hate bad customer service and being charged for every little thing.
We’ve never had a bad experience on Southwest, and with my Companion Pass in hand that lets my husband fly free with me anywhere, we are able to reduce the number of miles we’ve saved to travel, allowing them to go much further.
Download my free guide on how to fly FREE on Southwest by earning the coveted Southwest Companion Pass in just a few easy steps.
8 Reasons Why I LOVE to Fly Southwest Airlines:
- 2 FREE Checked Bags Per Person – This is a great perk, especially for families who generally need to travel with more stuff. Try as I might, I cannot condense my family’s gear into one bag. My husband’s shoes alone about fill half a bag! While we never take two bags per person, we will often fly with three checked bags and one carry-on. This allows us to bring an entire bag with non-perishable snacks and breakfast items, as well as our handy dandy portable fan :). Yea!
- No Change Fees – Southwest does not charge if you need to cancel or change your reservation; you will only pay the difference in the fare price. If you book with Southwest Rapid Rewards Points and need to cancel, they are simply credited back to your account. SO helpful! We will often book a trip, even if we are not certain of it, locking in a good rate but knowing we can cancel at any time. One note: If you pay with cash versus points for Wanna Getaway fares, they only credit your account the amount reimbursed versus giving you the cash back. So paying with Rapid Rewards Points is better for the cheaper fares.
- No Blackout Dates – When you book using your Southwest Points, you have access to the same flights and fares as everyone else. Most other miles programs limit award availability.
- Points are Based on Cost – I wait to purchase flights until Southwest is having a sale, because the points required to purchase a flight are based on the cost of the flight. So waiting until a good sale will help you conserve and maximize the Rapid Rewards Points you have accumulated.
- Free TV! On Southwest, you can watch 19 TV channels and up to 75 TV episodes on demand on your personal device via their AirTime app for no cost. This really helps entertain my school-age kiddos. Here is a list of compatible devices.
- Rapid Rewards Points Don’t Expire – This is great news because you can accumulate the miles and wait until you’re ready to use them; no pressure.
- Reasonable Fares – We find that Southwest regularly has very reasonable fares (ie $49-$69 one way) to many of our favorite destinations like Denver, New York City, California and Orlando.
- Fly 1 Person With You Free for up to TWO Years – Yes, it’s true! This happens once you qualify for the Southwest Companion Pass, which you can earn with very little effort. The person you designate as your companion flies free with you from the time you qualify until the end of the following year.
Don’t just take my word for it! Find out why the bloggers at ACouplefortheRoad.com like Southwest, too! Read their Southwest Airlines review.
Do you love to fly Southwest? Tell me why!